Sweetman House

668Jan

I agree effbee, if the buildings have been cleared of pyrite and Menolly are confident then what's the delay in getting the certs? I believe the units are ok but would like to have it in writing that Menolly feel the same way! Could have repercussions down the line but we won't know until we get there! As far as I know the units in Red Arches are sold as bigger but the 2 bed apartment doesn't seem bigger than mine it's just that it has it's own front door so the stairs up to the main apartment is included in the square footage, yet it doesn't back on to the communal garden. I still reckon the price difference is because of the entry point off the coast road and the fact that I don't think Red Arches was affected by the Pyrite! I reckon I'll be going ahead regardless, never know what'll happen in the future! It's a great location, close to where I'm from and a very good price. Roll on moving day!! :D

Dzikus

Hi - just a note. With Pyrite testing there is certain brackets that the builder might use later on and are using at the moment - even if the unit comes back positive they might say that they will not rectify problems until a "visible damage" is showing. So you might find yourself 5 year down the line with cracks - and 10 years down the line too late. Insist on the certs - make sure pyrite levels are below 1 % - we all went through that and are having a nightmare time.

east

I agree with 668Jan, you never know what'll happen in the future! the wall will alway possible have cracks in many years, and is not necessarily caused only by pyrite. I like the location, and it is affordable, and I will take it.

coastermyrtle

Just to say I'm living in Myrtle for over 12 months now and really loving it here. It has annoy me in the past that I see nothing but negative comments all the time. I haven't had any issue with the house I bought, in fact it has been of very high quality, The grounds around the area seem to be kept immaculate (notice all flowers that are planted at the moment), my neighbours are really nice and its very close to the beach. So welcome to all new resients of sweetman, I hope you enjoy the area as much as I do.

Humpty

well said. Too many negative comments, comments which are of no help to anyone. I've lived here for over a year now and i must say that we've enjoyed living here. The location is perfect for us and the whole area looks stunning at the moment, long may it continue. Once the houses are sorted, the place will be ideal. For all moving into sweetman, closing the deal is really stressful some of the comments posted do nothing to ease that stress. All i can say is take your time, snag thoroughly and enjoy ur new place when you move in

Jersey Girl

Hi coastermyrtle and Humpty.

Thank you for your comments. It's the exact reassurance i needed to hear. It is stressful and i suppose we're all just trying to make sure everything will be ok. I can't wait to move in. All the lovely flowers made me smile big time when i drove down there last Saturday!!

Thank you, you've made me realise that i am doing the right thing for defo!!! :) ;) :D

Jersey Girl

Hey Jan,

Just noticed your snagging this weekend! That's brilliant. So they have no problems with people snagging before they sign???

i wonder if i could do the same? Just while we wait on these certs??

limbo

Comments made by myself and Dzikus are only to try to help you get your paperwork in order re pyrite certs so that you can avoid the stress and heartache and grief that we have suffered as a result of this issue. Not planning to make negative comments to annoy people, just to try to help you lessen the stress in the long run.
It is a lovely estate to live in - and this adds to the grief, when we see the wall flexing and cracks appearing in a property that we moved into only a year ago. (And I find it suspicious that homebond have certified Sweetman house since May 07, when it was nowhere near completion - they had barely started building it then, so were certifying a building without inspecting the final product?). It is heartbreaking to think of what the future might hold with our crumbling walls, not being able to sell the property because of it and law cases ahead. So, if you get your paperwork in order, you can avoid all of this. We were just trying to help as we have been dealing with this issue for the past year and wanted to share our experiences to save you the trouble....but so be it. Last post from me. You are on your own.

668Jan

Hi all,

I appreciate all post both positive and negative. As far as I'm concerned it is a huge step to take and I've been waiting a long time for it. But on the otherhand I'm not going to rush in without the proper paperwork in place. The negative post do inject a bit of reality while the positive posts give me hope. I don't think anyone has tried putting me off buying but are just giving their advice and sharing their experience. I believe many residents have gone through a lot in the past as they had already moved in when the problem arose from reading some of the previous posts in other threads. I hope the problem in Sweetman has been sorted but see no harm in having as much cover for ourselves as possible. In the end these things unfortunately do happen, we just have to work through anything that comes up. I look forward to moving in and meeting all the neighbours. Hopefully sooner rather than later. So thanks to all. :D

668Jan

Yep Jersey, feel like things are finally moving. My snagger is going to be away for the next 2 weeks so he's getting in before that, I was told I might not be able to submit my snag list until the contracts are signed, but hopefully that will be early next week!! I rang sherry to ask them about snagging as he was going away and don't want to be delayed any more than I have been already!!!!! and they gave me Neil Scott's(site Foreman) no. and told me to get my snagger to call him. It's great everything seems to be coming together! Feels like it's taken forever but it's only been 6weeks since I put down the deposit!

That Nigglin Pyrite Issue

Hello everyone.........................

Just going over the letter from Golder Associates and I still have concerns regarding it's vagueness. Is there any way of requesting further information or guarentees from Menolly Homes? I have a lot of friends living in the area who have been badly effected by the issues regarding Pyrite, some more so than others I will admit. I too noticed work being done on a ground floor commercial unit to remove a section of a concrete floor slab. This is a sign that there could be a problem with Pyrite in the subfloor and/or foundation construction. What we really need is a guarentee stating that our properties will not in the future and has not in the past been effected by swelling caused by the presence of excessive amounts of Pyrite in the floor construction. Not a letter stating 'the stone infill material is not susceptible to swelling and is therefore suitable for use as underfloor infill' I know some other purchasers have been in contact with Menolly Homes to request certificates and have been told to wait as they are 'compiling information' etc. but the big question is Will my investment in this property be protected in any way should the presence of Pyrite be detected and subsequent damage to the building's structure becomes evident?

Previously I have made a request to Menolly Homes' solicitors (BCM Hanby Wallace I think) to please "furnish all details regarding the status of the existing pyrite onsite or any measures that have been taken to establish its presence in Sweetman House or works undertaken to remove it" however the response and letter recieved from the builders' solicitor failed to make any mention of Pyrite in it and this is causing me great concern. Can anybody advise on any other possible guarentee that we can request to ensure that the properties we are purchasing will not have future problems relating to excessive amounts of Pyrite present in the stone in-fill used in the construction of the ground floor slabs and foundations? I mean, are any current residents of The Coast aware, for example, of the allowable levels of Pyrite in floor construction or have they been offered any advise from structural engineers that could be of help to us when requesting information like guarentees or certificates? I see a level of 1% is mentioned by another user above, but where has this figure come from??

Any advice ANYBODY can offer us on this would be very much appreciated by all............I'm sure!!!

Also, if your brain is still trying to unravel what it is exactly that I have just said (because I know mine is) then have a read over it again and I'm sure it will make sense!

I think

Yours (anonomously),

That Nigglin Pyrite Issue

668Jan

Hi niggle,

I received word from my solicitor today that Menolly solicitors are not sending any further certs other than the one from Golder associates re the pyrite.

I think everyone has to decide for themselves whats best for them. I personally have decided to go ahead and hope to sign contracts next Tuesday! It's not an ideal situation, a bit of uncertainty, but for me it's a good price in a good location and I just want to get in before the interest rates rise again as they've already gone up twice in the last couple of weeks! Best of luck to all!!

Dzikus

Hi That Nigglin Pyrite Issue,
I will pm you as I dont want to be accused of negativity :D
Limbo is right - we went through a lot and still there is no hope in resolving our problems - or no sight of resolving them. We have bad experience with the develper no matter how nice the development is - the fact is - we cannot sell our properties until they are fixed - thats hinders our lives - we cannot move, upgrade, all the things that you would want to (buy the house and change after baby arrives etc) - we just wanted others to be aware and make sure that you cover yourself from all angles - its your decision and I would never want to put anyone off. Enough said.

guest23

Pyrite

It's a shame Menolly can't just be more clear and give clearer guarentees. I think the selling agents should be more active also as we are customers of theirs and they are the agents selling these units to us

668Jan

Snagging

Hey all,

Just to let you know I snagged my apartment on Saturday and the snagger was very happy with the place. He was really trying to find problems with the place. At the end of it all, there's a slight leak under the kitchen sink, and the toilet bowl in the ensuite is a bit loose! Other than a few cosmetic bits and pieces, he reckoned there's no reason on a snag side of things why I couldn't close within a week!!!! :D I'm delighted, and can't wait to get in. I'm only signing the 1st lot of contracts tomorrow at 12oc but am eager to close as soon as possible!! I could be in by the bank holiday if all goes well with the paperwork!! Oh the excitement! :p I even went out and bought my curtains and light fittings yesterday to celebrate. I've really not let myself get excited up until now, but reckon there's no stopping me now! ;)

east

Hey all,

Just to let you know I snagged my apartment on Saturday and the snagger was very happy with the place. He was really trying to find problems with the place. At the end of it all, there's a slight leak under the kitchen sink, and the toilet bowl in the ensuite is a bit loose! Other than a few cosmetic bits and pieces, he reckoned there's no reason on a snag side of things why I couldn't close within a week!!!! :D I'm delighted, and can't wait to get in. I'm only signing the 1st lot of contracts tomorrow at 12oc but am eager to close as soon as possible!! I could be in by the bank holiday if all goes well with the paperwork!! Oh the excitement! :p I even went out and bought my curtains and light fittings yesterday to celebrate. I've really not let myself get excited up until now, but reckon there's no stopping me now! ;)
congratulations, enjoy it

micko

Good skills 668Jan. Just 2 quick questions for ya.. did your bathrooms come complete with shower doors ? Is your gas boiler located in one of the bedrooms and if so did you look to get it moved. I noticed in my place there was no shower doors in either of the bathrooms. Hopefully snagging this week and am going to try get the boiler moved out of the bedroom as it would be noisey enough.

668Jan

Hey Micko,
My shower and bath screens were not fitted but are on the snag as they are on the list of included fittings so won't close until they're fitted. Moving the boiler is not on the snag, might put it on, due to submit it today after signing, though don't reckon it'll be done but sure if you don't try you'll never get! The boiler was on while I was there and I didn't find it too noisey. Best of luck with your snag!