Sweetman House

668Jan

Hey Jersey,

Best of luck today!! :D Wish it was me!! ;) Hopefully will be soon enough!! :)

Just to let you know my solicitor emailed me this morning re the pyrite. This is what she wrote:

"The Builder's Solicitor has now furnished me with a Certificate from Golder
Associates,Engineers. This Certificate refers to the stone infill material
used in the ground floor units of your building. It states the infill
material has been sampled and tested and that based on results they confirm
the results indicate that the stone infill material is not susceptible to
swelling and is therefore suitable for use as under floor infill.

I am going to revert to them to see if they will furnish us with any
warranty from the builders itself but I imagine this is all we are going to
get. "

I'll keep you posted on any news I get.

668Jan

Hi East,

Just wondering how you got on getting Certs re Pyrite? Did your solicitor let the contracts go yet? Mine got a Cert from Golder Associtates, just wondering if this is enough to cover us?

668Jan

Hi East,

Just wondering how you got on getting Certs re Pyrite? Did your solicitor let the contracts go yet? Mine got a Cert from Golder Associates, just wondering if this is enough to cover us? :confused:

east

Hi East,

Just wondering how you got on getting Certs re Pyrite? Did your solicitor let the contracts go yet? Mine got a Cert from Golder Associates, just wondering if this is enough to cover us? :confused:
Hi 668Jan,
As I only got a fax of the certificate, so I asked my solicitor to get the original copy.
the cert I got is from DBFL consulting engineers confirm that due to the form of construction of the residential unit (myrtle square), not stone infill was used under the floor slabes.accordingly no issues related to swelling of stone infill or pyrites apply to the unit. I think those statments would be enough to clear the issue.

Jersey Girl

HI Jan,

Well here's the situation after meeting my solicitor today.

I didn't sign contracts in the end :( All down to the Pyrite. We're gonna wait untill my solicitor gets the certs to say everything was clear. Do you know who your solicitor requested them from?

I really need to get them soon. Got a bit of a shock to learn that my monthly repayments on my mortgage have gone up by 30 Euro aswell. My solicitors fees are gonna be about a grand more than i thought too so feeling slighlty stressed at the mo about things. She went through the whole contract with me today and everything else is in order apart from the pyrite issue.

So on a more positive note.... once she has gotten the certs i go back in to sign and closing could be within three weeks or so. :) Would prefere to skip all this stressful stuff in between though!!!

micko

Hey all just came across this site and am in the same boat as the lot of you. Have a deposit down on a three bed in sweetman hse but am now begining to loose my patience. I have been waiting 12 weeks for my sol to receive these so called pyrite certs but still nothing and therefore have not signed the contracts.Every time my sol rings the builders sols she is told they are compiling the results at the moment but should have the certs by the end of the week!! I see Jan has got something back in relation to it but to be honest the way they have worded it would not fill me full of confidence. Its still not really a guarentee that the place is not affected. im living in Myrtle at the moment and have noticed that the builders have cut the floor out of the retail unit on the corner of the Sweetman block. Im guessing it is affected by pyrite as they carried out the same procedure on all the ground floor units here in myrtle to access the infill material. I would be reluctant to close on any property without some sort of warranty from the builders to say the block is not affected. Having said that i have noticed people moving into the block over past few weeks however I know they did not receive any Certs from the builders regarding the pyrite issue and clearly they are not to worried about it !

Dzikus

Hi Mico,
Just to let you know - I have seen the cut outs on Sweetmans done last year when Myrtle was tested! around August / September - in the halls just opposite Morrow House - so if they say they are compiling results thats strange as the tests in some areas where done nearly a year ago...I should have taken photos...now that I think of it..

Jersey Girl

Hi All,

This is all becoming quite suspicious. Still compiling results a year later??? Floor in the retail unit being pulled up??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It doesn't exude alot of confidence that we can trust Menolly.

DESPERATELY in need of reassurance.....

micko

I would be fairly confident the retail unit is affected in sweetman. they are carrying out the same procedure as they did on all the units below me last summer in myrtle. I stand to be corrected though. if anybody knows different let me know. The cert that 668Jan sol got to me does not carry any weight from the wording of it. its all very vague. Il give my Sol a buzz in the morning and keep you posted.

micko

sorry to add to that my sol did also advise me to get my own surveyor out to have a look but like everybody else its more money that i would rather not have to spend however it might be worth getting independant advice from somebody who knows what they are on about.

668Jan

Hi Jersey,

Shame you didn't get to sign. I'm in the same boat, just waiting until I and my solicitor are happy with the pyrite issues. No word yet re the warranty. As far as I know my solicitor got the certs from BCM, Menolly's solicitor. I also have to confirm if the property is covered by Homebond. Although on the upside my snagging is getting done this weekend as my snagger will be away for the next 2 weeks, so should speed things up for closing, hopefully! It all is a bit worrying about the pyrite but the one thing is it's a fixable problem as far as I know. By the way don't hold it against me but I'm the eternal optomist!! :p Hopefully Menolly will get there finger out and give us all the reassurance in writing that we're waiting on!!

niamhy82

Pyrite

Hi All

I also bought a 2 bed in Sweetman also and are embarking upon a life of poverty for the next few year!!!:( I was talking to the builder last week and the reason they took part of the floor out of the retail unit in the corner was to test it for Pyrite. The results came back and showed that the unit is free from Pyrite. So im not panicing about the pyrite thing. Plus when you sign the initial contract, you will sign the 10 year Home Bond which protects your home for 10 years. At least Monolly came out and held their hands up and rectafied the pyrite issue! How many builders bought from the same quarry and are sitting back and saying nothing?????

I signed my initial contract a few weeks ago so it's full steam ahead for me. Looking forward to moving now and the parents are looking forward to seeing the back of off the stuff i have stored in their house for the apt!!!!! :p

Talk to you soon!

668Jan

Hi Niamhy,

I'm all ready to go on the purchase too. Hello poverty, goodbye social life!! :p It was mainly the Mortgage holding me up, I'm currently waiting on an ammended, ammended loan offer!!! Yes I did type that twice! I'm interested in getting as much info on the Pyrite issue before signing as possible as once signed there's no pressure on Menolly to do anything as we're legally bound. Might as well as I can't sign till everything else is sorted anyway. Though the solicitor wanted something in black and white before I signed. It is a big step, might aswell cover all the bases. It was suggested in another thread that the home bond guarantee that some of the owners of the tenants properties had didn't cover them! I'm not sure of the reasons why but have asked. As far as I know Home bond cover the building foundations for 10years and is what I've been recommended to get. I accept Menolly have been open about the problem, although not nessecarily because they really wanted to be. But I do like to think that any pyrite problem was found and resolved before they re-released sweetman. Otherwise it'll be a case of either all my belongings leave my parents house or I do, coz there won't be enough room for all of us!! :) I can't wait to get moving, the sooner the better!! :) I'm all packed up and ready to go, have been for a couple of weeks!! :D

Dzikus

Hi just to claryfy - I did not suggest we were not covered by Home Bond - just saying that for me it turnes to be a useless piece of paper as the Home Bond did not do anything to help us - its not like an insurance company - its more like a pressure instrument for the bulders - but we did not see any effects of it.
Regards,

668Jan

Cheers Dzikus,

Just rang Home bond and the buildings been covered since may 07. At the end of the day, I think just have to take our chances. There's no guarantees in life and just have to make the most of things. Menolly as far as I know did rectify the problem when they found it, so hopefully there won't be any long term affects when it comes to selling!! I did mention the eternal optimism thing yes!! :D

limbo

I find it very strange that they needed to remove the whole floor to test for pyrite in the retail unit, when the rest was tested using a hole a foot wide. Also, why test for pyrite now?
I have to agree with Dzikus. I feel that Homebond is of little worth.....we have yet to hear from them re the pyrite issue (despite testing positive). They happily leave it in the hands of the builders to fix up...and they have 10 years to do it...even though cracks are appearing now, one year down the line.
My advice is to cover yourselves as much as possible re the pyrite issue. Get the exact test details for your unit, as well as the structural survey done by Menolly engineers and don't accept anything less, otherwise you will be in the same mess, with all the extreme stress that this pyrite issue has brought to the rest of us.

Jersey Girl

Hi everyone,

Just an update. I've just been on to Sherry Fitzgerald re the pyrite situation. He said the certs are sent out in batches as requests for them come in, from BCM.

Ok, that's fine. Then i went on to ask him why the floor in the corner retail unit had to be taken up and he told me that the results of the testing carried out on it came back positive for pyrite, but all the other units came back negitive. I questioned him about this suggesting that how could the retail unit be positive and all the other units be negitive. He insisted that they have all been tested and that they are negative.

So basically it's a waiting game to recieve the certs.

668Jan

Cheers forthe info Jersey, it all does seem a bit odd. If everything was clear for Pyrite why we have chase Menolly for certs, surely they'd be shouting from the roof tops??? Not literally!! :D But you would imagine they would send confirmation out with the contracts at this stage. And the fact they're only sorting out the retail unit now doesn't fill me with confidence, I was assuming that they carried out all works before they re- released them! When I was onto Sherry I was told that certs had gone out, and when I asked about a warranty from Menolly I was told she hadn't heard of anyone else looking for one. Seem unuasl given the amount of discussion on here alone! I'll be over there at the weekend with my snagger so gonna have a good look around and see if anyone is on site to have a chat to.

micko

Evening all looks like i was correct about the pyrite in the retail unit. Took a look in there today and the majority of the floor is out. Think i will go ahead and get my place snagged anyway while waiting for these certs as to speed things up when i close.

effbee

There seems to be alot of messing about with regard to this Pyrite issue, I can imagine it will have repercussions a few years down the line when it comes to selling on as when word gets around the whole development will have a bad name, rightly or wrongly.

I'm still considering buying something but I have to admit, I'm getting very turned off by all this.

Just one last question - why are the red arches units that bit dearer, are they a little bit bigger yes?