Sky in Grattan Wood ?

barca

Anyone who is interested in getting sky into their apt block ? Sky say they need 3 interested parties from a block and they will install a receiver on the roof, if agreed with the mgmt company.
This is all because the dodgy box is coming to an end and also the NTL are sh1te.

Cheers

dublin13_J_C

Sky at Grattan Wood

Hello,

My name is John Clancy, I am a Grattan Wood Resident and also a former Director of the Management Company. Just to clarify - Regardless of what support you get for your Posting in regard to installation of a Sky Satellite System at Grattan Wood, any such Installation (as Sky have told you) would require the agreement of the Management Company, and that will not be forthcoming, as the Head Lease specifically bans the installation of Satellite Dishes at Grattan Wood, and this is further clarified in the House Rules.

Several Satellite Dishes have already been installed by Residents, and have been remove by the Management Company, with the Apartment Owners concerned then having to pay the Removal Costs.

There can be no re-negotiation of the terms of the Head Lease, as Legal Advice taken by the Management Company during my tenure as a Director specified that any revision of the Head Lease would have to be agreed by ALL OWNERS (176 Owners), and each Owner would have to sign a "Deed of Revision", which would incur a Legal Cost in the order of € 500 + VAT per Lease - € 88,000 + VAT in total. So from a Cost standpoint, that is out of the question.

Apart from that, Satellite Dishes are an aesthetic eyesore, and as we stated several times at AGMs and also at the EGM in July 2008, we don't want the Development looking like a Tower Block in Ballymun.

If you are not satisfied with this answer to your Posting, please call David Wallis at Wallis Property Management, who will give you the same answer. But I advise against any attempt to proceed with installation of Satellite Infrastructure on the exterior of the Apartment Blocks, or it will be removed by the Management Company and the Owners concerned will be billed in full for the Removal Costs.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards,

John Clancy.

barca

No where in my post did i mention a Satellite Dish. It is a receiver on the roof that is not visible. From there it is sent to each individual that has paid for it.
So really there is no difference to the existing system provided by NTL. If people don't want Sky then this wont be going any further

dublin13_J_C

Sky at Grattan Wood

May 12th, 2009

Hello,

Thanks for your response. However - whether it is a Satellite Dish or another piece of Equipment - the same provisions still exist under the Head Lease in regard to erection / mounting of External Infrastructure on the Apartment Blocks. Comparison with the existing NTL Infrastructure is not valid, as (a) that Infrastructure was designed and installed at the time of construction of the Campus, and complies with all necessary Regulations, (b) the NTL Infrastructure has its own specific Pre-Designed Ducting allocated to it, and (c) the NTL Infrastructure was subject to a Contract between the Management Company / Developer and NTL at the time of its installation.

Also, it is too simplistic to imagine that Sky will just come into Grattan Wood and solely do all of the work involved in wiring such a Receiver down into individual Apartments - the Electrical Maintenance Contractor for Grattan Wood (CJS Group) would also have to be involved, to ensure that (a) ELectrical Installation Standards were complied with, and (b) that no Safety-related Breaches occurred - for example, breaching of Fire Stops within Ducting running from Floor to Floor. CJS Group's involvement would also have Cost Implications, and I assure you based on experience, that would not be cheap.

By all means, continue your discussions with Sky, but I stress again that no Infrastructure of any kind can be mounted (a) on the exterior of Apartment Blocks, and / or (b) within the Common Areas of Apartment Blocks, without the specific Written Authorisation of the Management Company. We have already had a situation of a Penthouse Owner making an unauthorised Structural Modification to the interior of his Penthouse, and in doing so, he invalidated the Fire Certification for the whole Apartment Block, and therefore invalidated the Fire Insurance for that Block - he should instead have been aware in advance that the Head Lease bars any Owner from making ANY Structural Changes to their Apartments.

My point being that any Structural Modification - even just involving the erection of Add-On Infrastructure such as a Satellite Receiver Unit - has wider implications for the Block, and in some cases, the whole Development.

Bottom-line - Such Infrastructure cannot be erected without the authorisation of the Management Company, and should you be in doubt, please call David Wallis (the Managing Agent) at 01-6629000. It's better that you are aware of these Legal Restrictions NOW, than end up being in Legal Conflict with the Management Company LATER.

Regards,

John Clancy.

dublin13_J_C

Sky at Grattan Wood

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your comments. But please allow me to point out a number of things:

1. Barca - You obviously have not read your Lease, as you have to date advocated 3 substantial breaches of the Head Lease on this Website -

(i) Knocking down an Interior Wall in your Apartment
(ii) Parking of Vans at Grattan Wood
(iii) Erection of Satellite Infrastructure at Grattan Wood

Whilst yourself and Mackman sit back and lecture as 'Armchair Critics', you doubtless also require Service Charges to be kept under control. When I became a Director, no other Owner was prepared to come forward, and I quickly found that a substantial amount of Management Time, and indeed Owners' Service Charge Monies, were being consumed by Owners just like you - who ignored your obligations under the Head Lease, and then complained about it when contacted by the Management Company, but at the same time, bitched about the level of the Service Charges. As an example, several times already, Owners have erected Satellite Dishes on Apartment Blocks, and then refused to pay the Resultant Costs for its removal. So, all other Owners had to pay for the Breach of Contract of these Owners, and their associated negligence and arrogance.

By all means, put your proposal to the Management Company, but I can tell you right now, I am not paying a single Cent in incremental costs by way of Service Charges to support it, given the attitude adopted by yourself and Mackman on this issue. Using my knowledge of running the Management Company for 3 years, I have tried to point out to you here that proper Management Company Authorisation is required for this initiative, and that Incremental Costs are very likely to result, but your interpretation of that is that you are being "Lectured" by me. So, I will not waste further time on the issue.

2. Mackman - Why not put your Member's Powers where you mouth is, and step forward to become a Director yourself ? You have your ideal opportunity on June 17th at the EGM - and when YOU do the job of Director for a while and put up with the nonsense and abuse and threats (separate threats of Physical Violence and being Shot) that I put up with when I was a Director, then you can come to me directly and tell me how much you appreciate being treated in that fashion. Come to me directly and tell me that my Resignation was "tortuous" - Be a Man about it - Don't hide behind a Keyboard. And I'll directly give you your answer, and appraise you of a few other facts also.

Personally, for the likes of both of you, I think it would be a good thing if the Management Company collapsed as a result of failure to find Directors, or Insolvency as a result of Costs running out of control, and then perhaps you might both realise how good you have had it for a long time, at no incremental cost for Directors' Time invested in running the Management Company. And if the Management Company ever DOES collapse, then you might be interested to know that the entire Development passes into State Ownership, and you will then find out how difficult it will be to sell your Apartments in the future.

3. Both of you - Get out of your Armchairs and do something proactive - Step forward and become Directors - and in doing so, I suggest that you ACTUALLY READ the Contracts you signed when you bought an Apartment at Grattan Wood, instead of criticising people who came forward to save the Management Company from the insolvent state that it was operating it from 2000 to 2006.

Should either of you make Defamatory Comments against me on this website, I will refer the matter to my Solicitors without hesitation, and then you will find out what "tortuous" truly means. Be in no doubt of that.

Good luck with your Proposal to the Management Company.

Regards,

John Clancy.

barca

??????????????????

1. Barca - You obviously have not read your Lease, as you have to date advocated 3 substantial breaches of the Head Lease on this Website -

Not sure where you have got these items from JC but if you want to accuse me of breaking these breaches, go to the relevant people and put the wheels in motion, otherwise please get your facts correct.

As far as the directors of the management company go. I say fair play to anyone who will do it and take all the hassle on board of trying to keep everyone happy. However every resident of Grattan Wood still has an oponion, be it director of the Mgmt company or not.

dublin13_J_C

Sky, etc.

Barca,

I made my comments purely based on reading your own various Postings on the website - and you yourself know what you have written here. I encourage you to read your Lease, because in my own experience, the buggest source of conflict between the Management Company and Apartment Owners arose out of situations whereby Apartment Owners went along and did specific things... eg, knocking down Apartment Interior Walls, laying Wooden Floors, putting up Satellite Dishes, putting Barbeques & Gas Bottles on Balconies, etc.... activities which were in breach of the Lease and which also caused problems for the Neighbours... and then such Apartment Owners 'got on their High Horse' with the Directors and the Managing Agent when they were told to stop what they were doing, as it was a specific breach of Lease. And ultimately, the Company's Solicitors had to be called in, in several cases... which cost € 423.50 per hour of the Solicitors' time, which many of the Defaulting Owners then refused to pay.

Anyway, I certainly agree with you that every Company Member has a say, and I have NEVER said otherwise... I was merely trying to point out to you that the process of having this Proposal passed may not be as simple as you might think... but good luck with it. I certainly agree with you that the NTL / UPC service is not good, and I have said that myself on-the-record at a past General Meeting of the company, when I was a Director.

Anyway, I'm glad not to be a Director anymore... We now have a new Board, and they will soon find out just how thankless a job being a Director actually is. The likes of the comments from Mackman (which I see that hhe has now removed... I wonder why ?) are indicative of the crap that I had to put up with when I was a Director, and he will regret it if he steps over the boundary into publishing "Defamatory Comments" ... IP Addresses are not so difficult to track these days, Firewalls or no. And I put up with enough nonsense being thrown at me when I was a Director, so these days, I just automatically hand that kind of stuff over to the Solicitors. As you yourself specifically supported Mackman's comments, I therefore take it that you are also extoling these views.... so, please be careful, because if those kinds of comments against me are repeated, the next communication will come from my Solicitors.

Good luck with your Proposal, but remember that any Installation Process by Sky MUST be supervised by CJS Group - the Maintenance Contractor for Grattan Wood - as Electrical Safety Rules must be complied with, and also, as regards the Walnut Block, I am not in favour AT ALL of any additional infrastructure being mounted on the roof of that Block, as there is sensitive Cand extremely-expensive CCTV Transceiver Infrastructure mounted on the roof of the Walnut Block, and the only people allowed onto the Roof of that Block are ADT (the CCTV System Vendor) and CJS Group. As regards the other Blocks, have at it, by all means... but I don't want to look out my window and see any kind of Satellite Dish or other infrastructure being visible, and indeed, such a situation would be a specific breach of the Head Lease. It took a bloody long time and a lot of work to bring the Operations and Finances of Grattan Wood under control after I became a Director, and I took a lot of personal abuse along the way... so now that things have been largely turned around, I have made clear to the new Board - in writing - that I expect them to maintain the standard that has been set. And that includes proper adherence to the provisions of the Head Lease.

Well, I hope you get the result that you desire, but just please be sensitive to the views of all other Residents also, as well as the Legal Restrictions of the Head Lease.

Regards,

JC.

dublin13_J_C

Vans, Knocking down Interior Walls

Barca,

By the way, my facts are right... here are your own past Postings regarding parking Vans and also proposing to knock down an interior Wall (the latter has implications for the Block Insurance, by the way, and could also invalidate the Fire Certification of the Block, not just your own Apartment)...

==========================================================
17-06-08, 12:42 PM
barca
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2007

Commercial vans
Has anyone had problems with the management commitee over the parking of vans ?? I have had letters from them saying i was not allowed. This is a load of bullsh1t in my eyes. I understand if it was a 40ft truck but a transit is hardly an obstruction.

barca
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2007

Wall seperating kitchen from living room

How do i find out if there is any services in the wall ??

Cheers

barca

No where in any post did i say i had done any of these 3 things. I just wanted to ! You have stated, i was in breach of the head lease on 3 occasions. This is not the case.

dublin13_J_C

Lease Issues

Barca,

Actually I said that you had ADVOCATED Lease Breaches. Which you clearly did, in regard to knocking down an Interior Wall... and in regard to the Van issue, the fact that you actually received a Warning Letter (which you yourself confirmed on this website) means that you DID park a Van at Grattan Wood. And most likely, you probably received the Warning Letter from myself... which means that because you decided to breach the Head Lease and the House Rules by parking a Van in the Carpark, you therefore de facto wasted my time in having to issue a Warning to you, when I could have been doing something more productive. So don't try to split hairs with me, please, and don't adopt the 'High Ground Tone' with me, given your support for Mackman's comments about me on this website... I have sent copies of Mackman's comments to my Solicitors already, and they have also noted your own support of those comments. So, both of you need to be careful... This website is about sharing Information on issues of common concern to the Residents of Grattan Wood... It is not a Bullletin Board for publishing Defamatory Comments.

I'm not wasting further time on discussing this with you, except to say that I'm bloody tired of the type of Owner who breaches the Lease, and then everyone else ends up paying for it. If you intend to 'fly on the Straight & Narrow' from this point forward, and ensure that you are in compliance with your Lease, then good for you, and I wish that there were more people like you. But I... and many other Owners who support my position on this... are tired of the nonsense of the Management Company having to waste time and Owners' Money on other Owners who breach the Head Lease, and then refuse to pay the Resultant Costs... and, I point out, the EGM which was held only this week was held as a result of my resignation as a Director, and I resigned because of an Owner who failed to control his Tenants, breached both the House Rules and the Head Lease, and then not only refused to pay the Resultant Costs, but had the nerve to actually publish several False Statements about me at the 2008 AGM. And by the way, I myself am personally € 6,000 out of pocket as a result of the behaviour of that Owner, on top of the circa € 4,000 that they have already refused to pay to the Management Company. Another example... As of March 26th this year, *68* Owners had not paid a single Cent of their 2009 Service Charges, meaning that the other 108 Owners were providing the Working Capital for the Management Company.

So... You can perhaps understand why I am fed up with seeing comments like yours about Vans, Interior Walls, etc. I don't say that you are in breach of your Lease now, but I said that you have advocated Lease Breaches, and actually, parking a Van was a specific Lease Breach.

And incidentally, both the Management Company and the Managing Agent are already aware of your various postings on this website.

I've given you my advice in regard to the Sky issue, because I know the issues that arise from time to time between the Management Company and the Owners in regard to Lease Issues... and also, I know both the Head Lease and the House Rules, inside out... and actually, I personally wrote the new House Rules which were published on July 11th 2008. In regard to the Sky issue, please take my advice in a positive context, and good luck with your Proposal to the Management Company. If you don't want the advice, then that's fine by me.

I'm happy to advise any Owner, as I have said before, if they so wish (simply in the context of helping them to have a good relationship with the Management Company and to avoid the common pitfalls that I saw during my 3 years as a Director)... but I want to be clear about this... I won't put up with any nonsense being published about me on this website.

I suggest you leave this discussion between you and I at this point, and simply contact David Wallis to progress your Proposal for a Sky TV System. It is not advisable to push the 'Derogatory Comment' route any further in regard to myself, because I am not going to put up with it from you or anyone else, and clearly, Mackman already understands how serious I am, because he has removed his Postings already.

Anyway, good luck with the discussions with David Wallis... You are right when you say that the NTL service is poor, because there are various issues with the Set-Top Box, the Electronic Programme Guide, and the Transmission Stream, which one does not generally see on the Sky System. Had the Developer actually thought through the ICT Infrastructure Design of the Campus when it was being built, a centralised Satellite Distribution System would have been built-in on Day 1 - but there is no spare Service Ducting connecting to each Apartment Block (and it is far too expensive to retrofit... I know, I checked it out), and there are Legal issues with regard to retrofitting Infrastructure in the Common Areas or on the Building Exteriors.

Anyway, good luck with it, I hope you achieve the result you desire.

Regards,

JC.

barca

If sky receive enough enquires regarding getting sky in Grattan Wood then i will forward my suggestion to the Mgnt company ( as i said in my original post ). If this does not happen, it will not be an issue.