Sky Conway - Whats the story?

MartyM

Doesn't look like anyone is using these boards, but I'll post this anyway! :)

Just moved into an apartment in Cairnbrook and was told if I wanted Sky Digital, that I MUST use sky conway?

Is this correct?

Can they enforce this on me by law?...I would love to go directly to Sky themselves!!!

From discussions on other forums, they do not sound like a great company, so its quite frustrating to buy an apartment which is wired with all the smart homes technology, etc, etc, then get lumbered with this! :(

ttronics

sky conway

I just moved into Cairnbrook a few weeks ago. The story is that Sky Conway have fitted their own dish and splitter system that can feed the signal to each apartment. As you're not allowed to put up your own dish, you have to pay them an installation fee and a quarterly fee to use their equipment. If you're getting Sky for the first time they can supply all the equipment and set up your account with sky etc. I wasn't too happy when I figured out I was going to have to pay more money to a seperate company to get sky tv but I have to say their engineer was straight out and had it set up in no time.

One good thing is that because Cairnbrook is wired by smart homes you can share the signal from the sky box to each room and change the channel using a magic eye and additional remotes.

PM me if you want any more info.

MartyM

I just moved into Cairnbrook a few weeks ago. The story is that Sky Conway have fitted their own dish and splitter system that can feed the signal to each apartment. As you're not allowed to put up your own dish, you have to pay them an installation fee and a quarterly fee to use their equipment. If you're getting Sky for the first time they can supply all the equipment and set up your account with sky etc. I wasn't too happy when I figured out I was going to have to pay more money to a seperate company to get sky tv but I have to say their engineer was straight out and had it set up in no time.

One good thing is that because Cairnbrook is wired by smart homes you can share the signal from the sky box to each room and change the channel using a magic eye and additional remotes.

PM me if you want any more info.
Hi ttronics, thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid when I read reports such as this:

http://www.neighbours.ie/aikensvillage/showthread.php?t=54&highlight=conway

I get very worried!!! You never know how good/bad a company is until you run into problems!

Their additional charges also put me off:

Connection = 60 Euro
Basic Channels = 15 Euro per quarter

Sky Digital Installation (with phone line) = 45 Euro (Same as Sky themselves)
Sky Digital Installation (without phone line) = 82.50 Euro (Possibly the same as Sky, not sure??)

Sky+
-----
Sky+ Box = 149 Euro (Same as Sky themselves)
Sky+ Installation = 75 Euro (This is 30 Euro more expensive than Sky!!)

Apparently Sky (or more precisely, their partners here in Ireland) will install communal dishes for free if the apartment block is 3 stories or less and has 39 units or less.

I still need to do more checking on this, but it begs the question why the developers/management company would choose Sky Conway??:confused:

Here is a list of Sky agents, smarthomes is listed here, why not choose them?

http://www.skyhomes.ie/aboutUs.aspx

Regarding smarthomes (perhaps this is another thread), they did not cable our block (or most blocks in phase 2), instead a company called Sound Innovations got that contract.

I feel a bit cheated on this front, because we got handed out all the smarthomes brochures and DVD, etc....and it definitely was a selling point!!!

MartyM

Move thread

Perhaps the mods can move this thread to "Services to Your Property"?

I didnt notice that when I originally posted...

ttronics

When I was moving in I went through all of this too, I talked to Sky directly and they said that there's nothing they can do at this stage. I would avoid their basic packages etc. All I got them to do was connect the cables for a sky box. I then got Sky to come out and fit their system. I had to pay Sky Conway 60 for installation and then 15 per quarter to use their dish. I then seperately paid sky for the installation, box and then monthly.

The Smart Homes system in the apartments is setup so you can run a cable back from the sky box and then watch it in each room. If you buy a magic eye you can change the channel from those rooms too.

There seems to be an issue with the setup in the building relating to a normal Aerial. There is definately one up on the roof as you can see it but it's not connected to anything. I've asked that all the apartments can be hooked up so that we'll at least get rte, tv3 and tg4 over the airways too.

Macs

Sky Conway

Hi, you don't have to use Sky Conway providing it is your apartment. (U need permission to have satellite installed for Sky Digital as i found out).

MartyM

Hi Guys....Happy New Year!

As I own the apartment, I think I will push to go with Sky directly!

Do you think the property management will let me have a dish situated beside the communal dish?

Also, I assume there are two LNB cables running to each apartment from the current communal dish. Can I re-use these for my own dish or are they the property of Sky Conway?

I guess I own the cabling in my own apartment?