Save What Trees?…on Brennanstown Road, Carrickmines

Hi Carrickmines residents,

There are some large printed posters along Brennanstown Road in Carrickmines, saying "Save Our Trees" and asking people who want more information to email cadracommittee@gmail.com. No further information is presented :confused:

I wrote to the above email address about a week ago but did not get a reply. I was looking for information about what trees were in danger (of being felled?) and also what 'cadra' was. I guess that cadra stands for Carrickmines Residents Association, with the 'D' perhaps standing for Drive, but I don't know. I live in Sandyford and would be interested to know what trees are threatened and what group is trying to save them as I am generally interested in protecting trees. It is possible that the email address on the poster is incorrect, I guess.

If anyone has any information on this issue and has any contact details for the people who are trying to save the trees, I would be very grateful for the information as I would like to get in touch with them. Thanking you in advance,

Best wishes,

(Mr) Coilin MacLochlainn
27 Kilcross Court, Sandyford, Dublin 18

Last edited:
I have received a reply from Ms Karen Keaveney of Cadra, which she tells me stands for Cabinteely & District Residents Association. She informed me that the committee had objected to a proposal to build nine houses at Navarone, currently a single dwelling with a large garden. Their main objection was to the felling of mature trees that would be necessary, including a Californian Redwood and a very fine Hornbeam. Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co Council and An Bord Pleanala rejected the planning proposal. The developers then re-applied, seeking planning permission for just two new houses. Cadra again voiced its opposition,for much the same reasons. The closing date for submission of objections or comments was February 4th, so the issue is now in the hands of the planning authorities. I went to have a look at the site. There are two fresh tree stumps in the middle of the garden, clearly recently felled deciduous trees, one of them probably being the 'very fine Hornbeam' mentioned by Ms Keaveney. The tall Californian Redwood is still standing, near the gate. The remainder of the trees are mainly around the edges of the site, facing onto Brennanstown Road and Lehaunstown Lane. They are not very tall, they are mainly quite young, and there's a row of horrible Leylandii cypress trees. Nothing very special to see, so, apart from the Californian Redwood, which is big enough but not very big for a tree of this species. So it would appear that the main remaining concern of Cadra is the danger of of all the trees in the garden being removed, as this would set an unwelcome precedent in an area of beautiful well-wooded large gardens. They don't want other property owners along the road to get it into their heads to infill their garden plots with new-build housing.