Pyrite in Ongar

vid1

I attended the meeting in castaheany educate together school last night in regard to possible pyrite in ongar houses, just wondering if anyone attended and wishes to discuss the fact that some houses in ongar have tested positive for pyrite. personally I am concerned about this matter.

darrenmcdade

Seems there is a lot of work going on around the Ongar Green area with this Pyrite carry on. WOuld be interested if anyone has any information on this, ie. Who is going to be paying for all this work and if anyone else is interested in getting there foundation checked out. Was talking to a company doing work in the area and he quoted me 1 to 2 thousand euros just to check for pyrite in foundation. He said the more that get it checked out the cheaper the price. Would be grateful for any information on the situation with carry on....And what a bloody carry on...Most of the developers may be bankrupt but l think they are trying to take us with them.....

darrenmcdade

Have a bit more infor in relation to this on going pyrite problem. Seems if your property is covered by Premium insurance they will cover the cost of fixing the problem, although you only have ten (10) years cover and that is nearly up on a lot of properties in the area. You have to first prove that you have pyrite and then get in touch with them and they will send a pack to fill out to get work started. Always paperwork in the way but sure if it can save your property it's worth it. With pyrite in the area the potential to sell your property will decrease even more unless you have a cert to prove there is no threat of pyrite in your foundation. I am a property owner in Ongar Green and considering getting investigation work done on my home, if anyone else is interested PM as the more people who go for it the more of a reduction in cost. Now l was initally quoted 1 to 2 thousand euros. So anyone interested give me a shout...
The company l was talking to are already doing work in the Ongar Green area. Ground investigation Ireland, The Grange, 12th Lock Rd, Lucan.....www.gii.ie...

darrenmcdade

Got a quote for 1,100euros and work able to start as soon as next week with chemical testing being carried two weeks after. If anyone else is interested let me know as soon as possible as the more the cheaper....Or if anyone else has any views on this let me know...:)

EGil

Hi there. Darren, i am interested in finding out how you got with the chemical testing - I also live in Ongar green, and while I have some cracks in my home, they are not major at the moment but i am concerned that they may be a result of pyrite. I have a surveyor coming out to me next week to have a look at the house, its a pity I didnt see your post until now! please let me know how you got on

Knockbridie

Pyrite on ongar green

I am now aware of a few positive cases in our estate of Ongar green of pyrite, we are definetly going to pursue this further. Anyone else about to begin the process????? If a few people investigate together it might make the process cheaper and less painful.

EGil

I had my home surveyed a few weeks ago, it was just an observational survey. They guy said that the cracks were normal drying out cracks and due to poor workmanship and that there was no visual evidence of pyrite. However, the only way to find out is to take samples of the infill which is very expensive as mentioned earlier and disruptive. I have noticed that some homes are getting remedial work done in my estate in Ongar Green - it would be great to have a co-ordinated approach to this issue.

envelope

I agree with your comment EGil would be good for a large group to come together and see if we can get something done.
I'm in Ongar green too. Looks like more and more of the houses are getting tested and coming back positive.
From what I gather the pyrite substance has to come into contact with water for the problems to begin. So issues might not show for a number of years after which our 10 year guarantee will be gone. I dont have many cracks in walls etc but have noticed the window sills coming away from the window frames. Any one else experiencing this? I find it hard to believe that a neighbour in a terrace would have pyrite and other houses in the terrace are not affected, as they would have been built as one foundation and then partitioned into separate houses.
Thanks

Neil101

Hi. I also live in Ongar Green and am starting the process on getting a test. I am just looking at getting a chemistry test and have contacted GII (thanks for the above info). They seem to know what they are about, but does anyone have any other recommendations for testing that they can share? Thanks, Neil

vid1

hi there,

just wondering if anyone has had an update of the pyrite issue in ongar, my 10 yr guarantee is up shortly so im going to have to get a test done soon i live in delhurst.

Thanks

Knockbridie

hi there,

just wondering if anyone has had an update of the pyrite issue in ongar, my 10 yr guarantee is up shortly so im going to have to get a test done soon i live in delhurst.

Thanks
Hi there,
We live in Ongar Green. Had test done. Luckily its negative but a few houses around us have had the test and have had to get their houses done.

colpur

Hi, I am single. I had the testing done and was on bread and water for nearly 2 years to get the money together for the testing. My house tested positive for pyrite. I moved out for the 4 months. Since moving back into my property I have had problems with the work done but no sign of the Construction Company coming back to fix these problems. Is any one else having problems post Pyrite?

rosiee

Hey I live in ongar and I have see alot of construction going on in certain parts of the estate over the past couple of month s looks like the floors are being removed and reset I imagine its because of pyrite . Does anyone know if the area is badly effected by pyrite . Thanks it is quite alarming