Pub in Ongar?

electrician L

I recently heard a taxi driver saying that he heard that a pub will be opening in Ongar this Sep/2010. I find this hard to believe given everything. But has anybody heard anything similar? Let me know, cheers!

clk

I was in the barbers during the week and heard the guys there talking and there appears to be activity in one of the pubs and it appears that it is being measured up for fitting

dublin15_iano

I was in the barbers during the week and heard the guys there talking and there appears to be activity in one of the pubs and it appears that it is being measured up for fitting
From what I heard today it is going to be a fast-food outlet of some sort unfortunately. :mad:

Jellies

The place that was supposed to be the smaller pub (across from Coolers) had guys in there some mornings a few weeks ago doing some sort of work. I kept trying to nab them on their way out to grill them about what's going on! But I haven't seen them there in the last week or so. Maybe as the above poster said, they were measuring up for fittings and haven't needed to be back since. As for the takeaway, the orange building on the corner as you leave the village (heading towards Castleknock School of Music and Newcombe) has a planning permission notice up in the window for that for the last 2 years, but they've recently "misted" up the windows with that white paint type of stuff and there's loads of activity in there, so that must be where that's going.
I'm around the village a lot and will nab any worker I see going into either place if possible for more info. It seems to be impossible to find out what the hell is going on around here sometimes unless it's through word of mouth!

tomk

yes, I passed the unit beyond Douglas and Kaldi cafe yesterday evening and there were a bunch of guys painting and fitting out in there. Bord Pleanala granted permission last year for a chipper/fast food takeaway despite Fingal County Council previously refusing it. I was surprised that nothing was done for so long after the permission was granted. Hope it's an Italian run chipper - they always have the best chips!! Must try to discipline myself to not visiting it too often when it opens or else I'll have to take out a gym membership too :)

As regards the unit with the 6 year old sign saying "Public House Opening soon" opposite Coolers, I would love if a pub opened there. It's promising that there was some activity recently. I think that unit has a far better shot of working out in these difficult times than a massive pub trying to succeed in the idle Ongar House