Problem with central heating

pointy

Hi All,

Hope you are all well! Just a quick question, did anyone have trouble with their central heating. We used ours when we moved in in May a little and didnt notice any problems. With the change in temperature we have been using it for the last couple of weeks now and three of the radiators were not getting as hot as the others. We put this down to not running the heating for so long but now these three are not heating up at all. They are the kitchen and hall radiators. I am sure that the system just needs bleeding but i am not sure how to do this. Is it the same as bleeding an old gas central heating system?

Any tips?

Have a good weekend! :D
P

kildare_Razor

Hi Pointy

Yep,we had similar problems and so have a few of our neighbours.I had to bleed the radiators several times as it kept happening every few days.My brother who`s a plumber has told me that there seems to be a problem with the balance of pressure in the cylinder as the is an air leak somewhere.This leads to some radiators not heating up.If you go to your hot press you will find a black plastic turn switch on the main feed pipe from the bottom of your cylinder.If you turn this you will put more water into the cylinder which should solve your problem for a couple of months.Be careful,only open the switch for 30 seconds or so and remember to close it.If you don`t close it or if you add to much water there is a chance of adding too much water and damaging the whole central heating system.:mad: Let me know how you get on.
Razor:)

pointy

Hi Razor,

Thanks for that information. I bled them on monday before reading your email and they seemed fine. Were really hot. Then last night i noticed that two of them dont seem as hot as the others and one is not heating up at all. I will bleed them again and see what happens.Failing that i have printed out your response for the other half to look at:cool:

I had to borrow a key as they didnt leave one in the house, did you get one left in yours?

Anyway, failing all that i have a mate who is a plumber who will look over the system for me:D

Have a great bank holiday weekend!

P:D

kildare_Razor

Hi Pointy
Just wondering how you got on with your heating?
I was talking to a couple of neighbours over the last week and they are also having problems with their heating so its not an isolated problem.I`ve advised them to contact Abbey Court homes as there has to be something wrong if everybody is experiencing the same problem.
Razor

pointy

Hi Razor,

Well i did as you suggested and bled the radiators again last saturday and so far so good. They seem to be okay although they have only been on a couple of hours each day. If it happens again i will contact abbey court though. There are still quite a lot of empty houses arent there....I got a copy of the latest list and there are a lot still not sold and the prices have dropped very slightly in comparison to the previous list. I suppose its not the time of year that people would be buying houses....

P

kildare_Razor

Hi Pointy

Good news on the radiators,but you might want to keep checking them over the next week or so cos there seems to be a loss of pressure in everyones central heating system which is causing these blockages every so often.

Your right on the houses for sale,the prices have dropped slightly on the 3 beds and I think theres about 10-12 still not sold.Theres also a few 2 beds still available but I see someone has moved into the detached house facing the river.If my memory is correct this was going for €410-415,000......crazy.
Its not really the time of year for buying/selling houses so the remaining houses prob won`t sell until March/April next year.

Enjoy your weekend:D
Razor

pointy

Hiya,

Yeah I will keep an eye on them! I noticed that someone had moved in there alright. They are very expensive when you consider that they are actually very slightly smaller than the 3 bed semis! The original showhouse is also not sold, i had heard the reason they moved it was because the other one was sold. I would say they moved it to draw peoples attention to the ones at the river.
On another point they should really be sorting out the lights because there are several still not working and i wonder what the deal is with the patch of green at the back of the estate.

They levelled it recently and looks like they seeded it too. I had heard that there was a creche going in there. Maybe thats where they are putting the other two houses that they are looking for planning permission for. Who knows! Well hopefully this time next year all of the houses will be sold.

Anyway, I will let you know if the heating packs up and i end up in Siberia over the weekend!! :D

Have a good one!

Pointy:)

jpk1976

Hi all,
I had to look up the procedure for bleeding our radiators(dead simple it is too) but in case any of ye are a bit of a cabbage like myself here it is in a nutshell.

How to Bleed Radiators

1. Make sure that the CH (Central Heating) is in the off position

2. Place your bleed key on the bleed nipple (this will be at the top, at one side only and could even be at the back, but usually is at one end)

3. Turn the bleed key 1/2 a turn anti clockwise to open (you should here the air hissing)

4. When water starts to dribble out turn the key 1/2 a turn clockwise to shut it off (Do Not Over Tighten)

If you have a sealed system then the pressure will probably need topping up to 1 bar (If there isn't a gauge on or near the boiler then this instruction will not apply)
:)

pointy

HIya,

Thanks for the info! Well the central heating seems fine now - touch wood! We have had to bleed them several times though to be honest. The amount of things we are noticing is amazing. All the so called "settling cracks" and gradually moving doorframes!

Ah well, its a project for 2008!

Pointy

wale04

Cracks

Hiya,

Anyone experiencing continues cracks on internal walls and ceilings?

We are presentlying observing a continus crack on the ensuit bathroom floor appearing on the floor tiles and this is consistence through to the party wall, anyone experience similar problem?

kind regards

wale04

pointy

Hi There,

We have a massive crack appearing in our kitchen ceiling which will have to be cut out to be repaired. Now that you say it we have two cracked floor tiles in our ensuite and thought that something had been dropped onto them. Just thinking now that the cracked tiles would be directly above the crack on the kitchen ceiling.

Our coving in the sitting room is also seperating from the wall. All of our skirting boards and door frames are spliting at the joins and coming away from the wall which i suppose would be put down to the house settling. I am going to ring mcevoys this morning to see if they can get someone to come look at the kitchen ceiling.

Have you contacted them?

P

wale04

cracks

hi,

The developer and the builder involved in this development should be held responsibly for the poor standard of work; contacting the auctioneer will not solve this problems.

I have contacted Abbeycourt Homes on several occasion pointing out all the defects but they careless.

I will be instructing my solicitor to write to the developer and if no action is taken, i will proceed to court.

If there are other peoples with similar problems in Preston Brook please share your experience with us.

kind regards

Wale04

pointy

Hi Wale,

So what exactly did abbeycourt say, did they even say they would get back to you? Is this type of thing not covered under the homebond guarantee?

I have been out of the country so havent contacted them as yet but i will do and see what they have to say. If i dont get any joy i think i will talk to my solicitor.

Pointy.

wale04

cracks

hi,

The standard procedure is to contact the builder through Abbeycourt Homes which i did, after several telephone calls, the builders' representative came to the house and all the defects were pointed out to him.

Home Bond requires that you should contact the builder first but if there is no solution the Home Bond is the last option.

I have been waiting on the builder to fix all the defects since November 2007 to date, no word from the builder or the developer.

Please any positive respond from them let me know.

Thanks

Wale04

pointy

Hi Wale04

I have just contacted abbey court to be told she would take my number and get the builder to call me. We live in hope. I will keep on it though and let you know how i progress, if i progress at all.

P

pointy

Hi There,

I have made my second call to Abbey court today to request that the builder get in touch. Still waiting on a call of course!

My kitchen ceiling is getting worse and to be honest is starting to look like it could come down at any minute!

Anyone else suffering this?

P

wale04

cracks

hi,

Abbey Court homes will not your call and the builder will not come..................

anyone out there with similar problem????????????:mad:

kildare_Razor

Hi Guys

Sorry to hear about your problems.My house is fine and I`ve mentioned it to a couple of the neighbours and they have no problems.Hope you get things sorted with Abbey Court.

Razor

kildare_kat

cracks

Hey, currently signing my life savings away on apt - solicitor pointed out to me in our contract that the builders assume full responsibility for cracks ...particularly large ones like you seem to have...there is a time limit in your contract within which they will deal with these problems so get moving now with your solicitor and stop waiting for them to call you - because of time limit they will prob delay responding ...releasing them from responsibility. good luck