Priory Hall - General Discussion

bigchicken

I just called over one day and asked for him. He walked up to my apartment with me and had a good look around and then told me the plan for work for the next couple of weeks.

Max

Hi all

I have just moved into Priory Hall.... at last!! I am really happy with the final product and think i will be really happy here!!

I need a bit of guidance if anyone can help!!!

For those of you who have moved in, have you gone with Magnet as your supplier for the TV? Or have you been able to get NTL or any of the others in?

My lobby eara is in an awfull state, terrible plastering around the lift, holes in the walls etc. How are other communal areas looking?

Does anyone know how to change temperture of heating?

Do the extractor fans in the bathrooms actually work?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

Judy Sands

Hi Max,

I have to be honest, I didn't even try ring NTL, or any other providers 'cause I don't think they're available, Magnet have it all sewn up. It doesn't suit us at all as we make a lot of calls to the UK, so I reckon we'll be just using the internet and web cam instead.

Our common area is in bits too, but we're the only ones in our block, it's still a building site, I don't expect it to change for a while. Once I can get in my front door and close it behind me I don't mind for now. Obviously when everyone is in I'd expect it to be kept clean..

The extractor fans pretend to work, they're supposed to be state of the art, but that doesn't always mean it's the best!

And finally, I've no idea how to control the heating, and I'd actually like to know whether the water is heated by the gas, or do we have to put on the immersion!?

Phew, sorry for the long post!

ob4

hi judy
when i oput the heating on , the water heats with it and if the heating is off i use the imersion.
i'm living there 5 months now and i common are is sore on the eyes but i agree when i close my front door i forget all about it.
Again , i'm stuck with Magnet and they're awful , i work from the net at home at the weekends and most weekends broadband is down and because they've the commission for the whole development you're stuck with them and they're customer help only works from Monday to Friday

bigchicken

Lifts are working in our block now :) this guy Noel seems to be on the ball. Can you all check that your extractor fan works, before you move in? Especially in your kitchen, would like to know if ours is screwed or just a piece of sh1t!
Wolrabp, I checked the extractor fan during my snag and it seems fine. Its hard to know until you're actually cooking/in the shower but it seems ok. The lowest #1 setting is fairly crap but the higher #2 and #3 settings seem ok.

Jack Jones

Hello Folks,

I know this may have been raised previously, but what is the story with the individual doors from the car park up to the blocks.

I just came back from the site and see that there is no locks on the doors from the car park, this is pointless from a security point of view.

Has anyone else spoken to the builders on this? its definitely not for the management company as the builders should have all this perfected before the common areas are taken over.
Its not for fire purposes either as all it takes is a simple door release button from inside the door and from outside the key pad should work.

Would be interested on your thoughts as I have never seen this before ??

Judy Sands

Hi Jack Jones,

I was speaking to Noel about this only last week. He's sticking with the stance that it's a fire regulation that there's no locks on the doors at the car park, ie, it's needed as a possible fire escape. I told him that I'd never come across this before, any other apartment blocks had locks on, (that opened with the twist of a nob coming down the stairs from the apartments but needed a combination from the carpark side). As I say, doesn't make an ounce of sense to me...

bigchicken

Yeh I heard the same about the doors - the builders are saying they aren't doing it. All we can do is talk to the management company once people are in about getting locks of some sort installed. There are no regulations requiring the builders to secure those doors AFAIK.

wolrabp

Wolrabp, I checked the extractor fan during my snag and it seems fine. Its hard to know until you're actually cooking/in the shower but it seems ok. The lowest #1 setting is fairly crap but the higher #2 and #3 settings seem ok.
Thanks BC, yeah i suppose the real test is when you start cooking, sure let me know if you think of it, good luck with the Snag...

Jack Jones

Lads and Ladies,

Just to clarify on the issue with the locks on the doors to the car park, I have spoken to a mate who is a health and safety officer and he confirmed that its not for fire regulation.

I think that if we wait to get the management company to do this, it will only give them an excuse for increasing the charges.

Its a simple job to put a key pad on the wall but think if more people dont raise this before closing, I cannot see anything being done.......

bigchicken

Its irrelevant why the builders haven't put locks there. All that matters is that they haven't. There is no law saying that the builders have to put a lock there so if they have decided not to then we can't force them to. I'm not saying i don't want a lock there, i do but there isn't one. We cannot make the builders do it but as members of the management company we can get it done that way.

The same applied to the windows opening from the corridor onto peoples balconies - i'm not happy about it but it was designed like that so there isn't a lot I can do.

Edited to say at the moment i'd rather concentrate on the builders finishing the car park and putting the security mechanisms on the gates. At least that would help.

Macker

Cooker Fan !!!

:confused:

I have been moved in since June and have been onto coalport re the extractor fan since then. Mine only has two settings on the wall and the settings on the fan itself are obselete. They are connected to an internal fan in the cupboard with the water tank. This is also the fan for the bathrooms. The bathrooms dont seem to get too fogged up but if your cooking a fry FORGET ABOUT IT. I have written to Mr Mc Feely of coalport regarding this issue but I am still waiting for something to happen. Guess I ll have to call yet again. Thanks for the heads up on yours having more than one setting that might give me a new edge !!
Let me know if you have any problems

bigchicken

Macker, when i was doing my snag i couldn't figure out how it works. So one of the lads showed me in the hotpress where its connected to the kitchen and the bathroom. There is a little remote control device for it that has 4 buttons on it. 3 are settings (low, med, high) and the 4th is a timer to turn it on for a few mins then have it turn off.

The remote control is the same size & shape as a socket. I asked the builder would he attach it to the wall in the kitchen for me as i thought i might loose it and he did that.

woodseb

i actually find the fans ok now, does the job for the bathrooms and is ok in the kitchen although not ideal - my kitchen is next to a balcony though so just open the door if i'm doing a fry.

Kermit

Dishwasher space

Hi everyone,

Did anybody else find that the space for the dishwasher is about 60 cms (depth) but the pipes are taking about 7-10 cms of that space meaning that the dishwasher will be sitting out of the cabinet about 7-10cms into the kitchen.

Is is just our apartment that is like this? We've been told all dishwashers are 60cm deep. I presume that the washer/dryer must be only 55cm deep or there aren't as many pipes at the back of it because it looks fine, it comes out 2 or 3cms. but 10 will just look bad and be a pain too.

Any ideas?

Happy new year!