Phone line

Doug

I've been round and round with Envi and High Degree about phone and Internet service. There was someone from Eircom out during the week doing some sort of survey and he told me that High Degree have finally decided to allow Eircom into the estate. He wouldn't commit to a delivery date, but said it could be more than a month :mad: . I need Internet access for my work so that really throws a spanner in the works. There is another company called ICE Broadband that has applied for planning permission for a mast and should be in service by mid Feb if Eircom can't deliver.

I don't know what happened with Envi exactly, but it seems obvious to me that HDC had some sort of backhand deal with Envi that went wrong. When I first started asking about phone/Internet in early Dec I was told that Eircom was *not allowed* into the estate. I spoke to the regulator and they advised me to make an official complaint, but now it looks like that's not necessary.

-Doug

Doug

I wouldn't worry about Sky Multiroom. It is true that they can't use the internal wiring, but that doesn't have anything to do with Envi. Satellite signals are very sensitive to attenuation (degradation) of the signal. The connectors that are used to connect the coax cable Envi installed cause the signal to degrade substantially. That's why Sky refuse to use them. In fact, they run a separate cable from the dish for each point in the house. So, you can still have multiroom, it just means you need a second cable down the front of your house and into your bedroom.

As for the speaker system. Envi were never giving us a speaker system, they were just installing wires. Those wires can be used for any set of speakers regardless of the company providing them to you.

I've gotten a data of Feb 26th for the install of my line from eircom. I expect I'll be waiting for at least two weeks after the line is installed to get internet access :-(