Management fees for January 2009...

Erica C

Car Park and Clampers

Did you all know that I have been told that the Dublin Docklands Authority own the majority of the car spaces in the south block. We need to know if they pay their share towards the fees.

They are left empty over the weekend when people are getting clamped on the street.

I will be carefully looking at the budget to see just how much the upkeep of the carpark and related costs are since I am not privileged
enough to use them I don't feel too happy to pay for them if they are unreasonable. But it's something that maybe can be answered at our meeting by Paola or her Boss ( Paola does respond very quickly to my mails and its not her fault that the parking is so bad, a huge bone of contention to most, except for Suzzie that is) as I am sure the parking situation is driving everyone crazy from my block.

The new NCPS clampers are out every 30 mins and over this weekend alone I saw at least 10 cars clamped. Does anyone know what time the car park on Grand Canal Square opens and closes and the cost, it wasn't on the sign outside.

Thanks

FitzRoy

Hi Suzzie,

I'm really surprised at your comments above, because my experience is completely different! I regularly see the management agents, maintenance and cleaning staff out and about on the site, during working hours. And I always know when my core has been cleaned because it does smell nice and fresh :) If you have any questions or problems, the management company office is on site (which is great), so Paola can be contacted in person or by phone or email. I've always found the CJ staff to be very responsive. This may sound sycophantic, but it's true :)

With regard to management fees, I agree that it is a lot of money although my fee is about the same as the previous place where I lived. If you didn't get a copy of the budget which shows the expenditure, ask Paola to send you a copy so you can see exactly how the money is being spent. As far as I know, CJ get multiple quotes e.g. for window cleaning so that the costs are competitive (although cheapest is not always best). If we want a reduction in fees, as mentioned by Fergus, we must review the services and costs.

In any case, welcome to LBQ!

FitzRoy

Most of us have clearly gotten the impression that the management company may be even you so we totally agree with you thats its not place to be discussing anything, there is a growing number of people living here that want to see changes, small changes even like the cores smelling clean, you never see the management agents out and about on site noteing things or improving things, they have become lazy and I think they are going to have a very big awakening in 2009! They are not going to run our buildings into the ground without a fight.. They are just inexperienced obviously, nice people but not right for Longboat quay, which lets face is a no brainer to run..
Hi Suzzie,

I'm really surprised at your comments above, because my experience is completely different! I regularly see the management agents, maintenance and cleaning staff out and about on the site, during working hours. And I always know when my core has been cleaned because it does smell nice and fresh :) If you have any questions or problems, the management company office is on site (which is great), so Paola can be contacted in person or by phone or email. I've always found the CJ staff to be very responsive. This may sound sycophantic, but it's true :)

With regard to management fees, I agree that it is a lot of money although my fee is about the same as the previous place where I lived. If you didn't get a copy of the budget which shows the expenditure, ask Paola to send you a copy so you can see exactly how the money is being spent. As far as I know, CJ get multiple quotes e.g. for window cleaning so that the costs are competitive (although cheapest is not always best). If we want a reduction in fees, as mentioned by Fergus, we must review the services and costs.

In any case, welcome to LBQ!

mmurphy2

Important points

A reminder that this forum (as with any online forum) has flaws;

- anonymity allows people to express feelings with a little more gusto than they might otherwise do. It's different to a meeting where any corrections of your exact meaning/ other person's interpretation can be clarified.

- only a fraction of the actual residents of LBQ use the site. This means that even if the majority of our online comments reflect one side of an opinion, that doesn't automatically hold true for the majority of residents.

Please keep that in mind when posting...

I personally feel that community/apartment living has many perks, but also some downsides. I have lived in many blocks, with many different management companies.

- Having onsite personnel is a great advantage.
- 300 units - difficult to get a perfect balance.
- The Gaswork apartments seem to pay more (and friends living there would say get less!)
- McNamara cannot give over the apartment block until all units are sold/ signed over. That is not going to happen any time soon.

NickieJane

I was told in Nov 07 that our managemnt fees where going to be €1500. I'm on addfordable housing and there has been many problems about moving in. Hopefully this year but i was so shocked to hear that it was over €2000 that is unbeliveable and habour fees aswell. We are not all made of money we do have bills and mortgages to pay!!!!!!!

dw3

A Definite No

Having lived in other places in this neighbourhood I wouldn't be so quick to try to change things, we have the best management company and ON SITE, practically unheard of. Paola and co. do a good job. Corcoran ran the building we lived in in the US and know what they are doing. These fees are the same as everywhere else. As an owner I would be a DEFINITE NO to changing management. You get what you pay for, at best you will maybe save 1 or 2 hundred euro a year and end up bringing in some amateurs who are all promises at the time of bidding. We know we get good service at the moment so why change it for a few euro a month?

Seems like abit of a coincidence that they day that the management company cut off the security and upset us that the above post was made. I wonder who this is? hmmh I wonder......

dw3

You suspect anyone who contradicts your opinion as being management. I am not. See you at the next AGM, I would like you to raise this issue so we all get a fair say without being falsely accused of being management.

How do I know you even live in Longboat? All you do is complain on this open forum but why not talk to Paola if you are really a tenant or owner, she is very helpful if you approach her properly. Or maybe you just haven't paid your fees so she doesn't help you. If that's the case, it's only fair dues.

We have not been told about any meetings and should have them more often.If you don't live in the Longboat Quay Complex then none of this is your concern.

dw3

I do live in Longboat ... I questioned if you do as you guys seem to question the authenticity of everyone that likes the management (check out the post about turtle). Put this to a fair vote at the AGMs (which happen, maybe you just haven't lived here long enough, so one will come up again in a few months) where we know the people are genuine LBQ residents. Plus, a lot of people don't use this site ... I only just started and have been shocked by the one-sided complaining that goes on. I bet it doesn't reflect the majority opinion, so I want to voice the other side ..... and that's all I'm saying, put it to a real vote rather than online griping. If you have a cheaper company and can GUARANTEE the building won't go to hell then I'm sure everyone will be delighted. But I would wager money having lived elsewhere you won't ....

dw3

and a second thought, the moderator makes some very good points ..... but then again you probably think they are management too?

I don't think people complain because they are out to get the management agents and its not personal to any of them. People pay alot of money and if they are unhappy they are entitled to express this opinion.

My feeling is that decisions on how the property is run and how the money is spent should be consulted with us first since we are owners and residents.

We simply need more meetings so we can express our concerns and air our queries. :)

dw3

Agreed, these things should be dealt with in meetings .... not on a site like this. Posts about minor issues like an unclean core, which were all cleaned spotless last week and carpets washed, stay on this site so even when the problem is resolved, people only look at the angry title of the posting. Reading the titles on this site most buildings here seem to be dumps ..... but they are not. Look at the comments about structural faults in Gallery Quay!

Personally I found Paola extremely helpful with a lot of the usual problems moving into a new place and just think she is unfairly blamed for things that may be more complex than people let on. I suspect if she is not helping particular people it may be that they have not paid their fees or are being unreasonable. But that's just what I think. This site does not present balanced views of things. Having joined yesterday I was just shocked by it, so that's why I may have posted some provocative or outspoken comments, but this site needs some balance.

If people don't pay their fees then the Management Agents of course would be right not to help them on a personal basis - we all would suffer if we don't have enough funds to cover the budget.

However - If one person in a core doesn't pay then the rest of the people shouldn't receive reduced services.

dw3

Agreed, and normally they don't. Every now and then you may have to notify paola that something needs fixing/cleaning but it gets done ..... at least in my experience. I would love to see a "name and shame" list of those not paying fees, these people don't consider that it affects everyone else. But from my experience from living in the US companies like Corcoran know exactly how to deal with people like that ..... that's just another reason we should be happy to have them compared to the new, inexperienced Irish companies that see building management as a quick and easy buck (or euro, still trying to shake the americano!)

lucy lou

Management fees

OK DW3, you think it is justified that we will no longer have night security (which was axed as it was costing too much) and our management fees stay the same??????? HOW???

You are right! Thank you! It also seems strange considering services and goods have decreased in price - we have deflation at the moment in Ireland. In my opinion the security was a hassle for the Management Agents and that could be one reason besides the cost. But how can we judge this when we haven't seen any accounts??

dw3

What are you on about?

When did I say it was a good idea? I have been defending the management company as being good, that's all. I have not stated my opinion on the security issue .... which by the way, I have pointed out when other people mentioned this, is a really stupid thing to mention on an open forum. Moderators have already had to remove mentions of this twice. I'll say it again, why not give an open invitation to criminals? Maybe you should think more about what you post on this site and how it affects others, I'm sure most people wouldn't appreciate you brining this up on this site!

I have expressed my opinion about that decision directly to Paola, the way it should be done.

You two go to great lengths to persecute anyone that disagrees with you. Ever hear of democracy and free speech? Moaning on this site won't help, most people living in LBQ don't use it so it just seems like an uncontrolled gripe-fest here. Like I said before, bring it to a vote at the next AGM when everyone gets a say.

We should refer to it as "the decision made the other day to cut some services" and ask the moderator to remove the reference to what it is exactly. Do you know how to do that? However as long as we are careful we should be allowed to vent any opinions we like that concerns the complex and our hard earned cash, that is the idea of a forum unless we are insulting people. I have never mentioned people's names nor do I want to single people out.

breda_eardley

Has anyone who lodged an opjection had a response of any description? We have not had any response as yet. We also requested a date for a meeting.