Fireplace

househunt

Hi,

I know this came up before but I still havent gotten round to putting an insert into my fireplace. I'm still tossing between gas or electric fire. I was originally going for a real fire but what was put in is not compatible for a real one. For anyone who put in a gas fire was there a pipe in the fireplace? There is none in mine so I'm not sure whats involved if I want to go for gas. On the other hand what happens if I go for electric? Is it possible to get an electrician to put a plug in the fireplace???...Stupid question perhaps but I am a bit clueless at the mo!

Any advice would be welcome:)

Thanks!!!

longsightm13

We went for an electric fire. A fairly simple process - small hole drilled to the rhs of the fireplace to feed the wire from the fire through, with a power switch on the wall.
IMO the fire is more for aesthetic than heating purposes - heat generation is poor.

agrif06

Apologies for dragging up an old thread - and I'm not sure how many people read this anymore, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what sort of gas fire I need or give me any info on the chimney. 3 years after moving in I'm eventually getting round to putting in a fire. I'm being asked questions like "do you have a Class 1 or Class 2 Flue" - and needless to say I have no idea.

hey you need a flueless gas fire. I got mine from fireplaces direct in Drogheda.They recommened someone to put it in just make sure they are registered.They give good instant heat as well. Don't know the ins and outs of it but hope that helps a bit!!