Fireplace - Want to be able to light a fire

firstphase

Hi, time has come to cut back the gas pipe and burst up the concrete it sits in far enough down to close off and seal away forevermore.

Now measuring it shows it to be just about 16" across the mouth and 6.5" deep and 10" width across the back.

View attachment 1576

Appreciate any details from those who got their grate together and what options they went with.
Looking in shops they have fire bricks too so should the base be lined with those meaning you look for a 14" grate to fit

Photo's and measurements much appreciated

firstphase

meant to also ask if you had to have the entire fireplace surround pulled off the wall.

When I look inside the fire and look up there is a gap at the front between the chimney wall and fireplace which is simply stuffed with insulation. Can't imagine this to be all that is required to prevent smoke entering up into the gap and thereafter the room

will post a pic of that also

firstphase

meant to also ask if you had to have the entire fireplace surround pulled off the wall.

When I look inside the fire and look up there is a gap at the front between the chimney wall and fireplace which is simply stuffed with insulation. Can't imagine this to be all that is required to prevent smoke entering up into the gap and thereafter the room

will post a pic of that also

seagull

Moderator (Lusk Village)
We hadn't decided whether to go with a gas fire or move to an open fire, but didn't like the way the pipe stuck out the fireplace with no way to turn it off. Friends of ours had their boys knock the pipe and rupture it while they were playing in the lounge, and there was no way to turn it off other than at the main stopcck. Our initial plan was to leave our options open, so we had the gas pipe capped off further up the pipe. I think you're better off capping the pipe where it goes along the side of the chimney rather than sealing it off under the floor. If you just seal it under the floor, you run the risk of a gas build up under the floor in the case of a leak. When we had the pipe capped, the gas plumber said that the gas pipe hadn't been sleeved for the section under the floor, and so was in breach of building regs, and that he strongly recommended against the use of a gas fire. At that point, we asked him to just cut back the pipe, and we decided we'd opt for using it as an open fireplace. Until we get a stove, anyway.

All we did after that was go off to one of the hardware stores in airside and get a grate that was the best fit for the shape and size of the fireplace. I think it was a 14" grate so that it would fit at the back of the fireplace.