Dampness in new apartment

cathal79

Hi,
I recenetly moved into Killegland house with my girlfriend. We've been having a bit of trouble with condensation mainly in the main bedroom. I can't for the life of me think what it could be except that there doesn't seem to be proper ventilation in any of the rooms except a stuped little vent on each window.

Our clothes always feel cold and damp along with heavy condensation on the windows.

I bought a dehumidifier which collects about 2lts or water per day.

Does anyone else have a simular problem?

If so do you know the cause of it or a solution.

Thanks

Cathal

THE STIG

Airport 79

Howdy Cathal 79,for The Best Part You Have Hit The Nail On The Head,from The Sounds Of It Lack Of Ventilation Would Seem To Be Your Problem,are You On A Ground Floor Apartment,there Could Be A Problem With The Membrane Beneath Your Floor Or Water Rising Above The Damp Prrof Course,i Suggest You Send A Private Message To Stephen Canning, You Will Find Him In "the Commons"/meath Part Of This Site,this Chap Seems Genuinely Interested In Helping People And Seems Quite Knowledgeable.i Suggest You Contact Him Before Your Damp Problem Rivals That Of The Passengers In The Steerage Class Of The Titanic.

P.s. You Didnt Leave The Tap On Did Ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tripi13

damp problems in killegland hall

hey cathal,

i had serious damp issues when i first moved in too. clothes, bed clothes even the air felt damp, i can see where you are getting 2ltrs a day from.

my walls are damaged from damp and i have small brown bugs everywhere!
although the damp seems to have stopped, the walls still need to be treated and skirting boards replaced. you should contact the builders, by the looks of things they probably aren't reaching the industry standards for ventilation.

let me know how you get on. good luck!

t

Dotty1

Damp Problems

hey cathal,

i had serious damp issues when i first moved in too. clothes, bed clothes even the air felt damp, i can see where you are getting 2ltrs a day from.

my walls are damaged from damp and i have small brown bugs everywhere!
although the damp seems to have stopped, the walls still need to be treated and skirting boards replaced. you should contact the builders, by the looks of things they probably aren't reaching the industry standards for ventilation.

let me know how you get on. good luck!

t
Hi Cathel

I have had 2 issues with dampness. The 1st was my living room ceiling which was detroyed after 1 month of living there. I got straight onto the buliders, as i'm on the top floor a tile on the roof was missing and the rain had just been spilling down onto the ceiling. I had another issue last week in the kitchen this time it was because the waste pipes weren't connected properly. It was more of a hassel as there is no attic in the apartment they had to cut a hole in my storage room celing to crawl across and fix. I spoke to the young plumber and he informed me that there were a number of people having the same issue, so just keep your eyes open on the ceiling for damop patches.

Regards

D.

tripi13

another issue i have is the toilet blocking constantly! i'm not flushing nappies or baby wipes (i dont understand how thats even possible!) i know its not something people wana hear about :eek: - but seriously the pipe coming out of the toilet must be teeny.

Dotty1

another issue i have is the toilet blocking constantly! i'm not flushing nappies or baby wipes (i dont understand how thats even possible!) i know its not something people wana hear about :eek: - but seriously the pipe coming out of the toilet must be teeny.
Hi

Have you been onto the bulider yet? If not go down to the office and make sure it's sorterd quickly as i have had terrrible issues with leaks and dampness.

D.

jen_coops

Hi i had terrible problems myself I had to buy a dehumidifier and I spoke to the builders and they said there was nothing they could really do and told me to just make sure I close the bathrooms doors when using the bath or shower, since I spoke to them I have had to replace a bed and the walls are very badly damaged, my landlord got a small amount of compensation from the builders for the damage but it is still there, wet walls, small brown insects, green mould. Also our main bathroom had to be taken apart because it had leaked into the apt below us. I too have a huge problem with condensation in the main bedroom, the spare bedroom if fine but the main bedroom collects a lot of water on the window sill which comes from the condensation on the windows during the night!

tripi13

Hi i had terrible problems myself I had to buy a dehumidifier and I spoke to the builders and they said there was nothing they could really do and told me to just make sure I close the bathrooms doors when using the bath or shower, since I spoke to them I have had to replace a bed and the walls are very badly damaged, my landlord got a small amount of compensation from the builders for the damage but it is still there, wet walls, small brown insects, green mould. Also our main bathroom had to be taken apart because it had leaked into the apt below us. I too have a huge problem with condensation in the main bedroom, the spare bedroom if fine but the main bedroom collects a lot of water on the window sill which comes from the condensation on the windows during the night!
i have those small brown bugs too!! im so glad to hear im not alone! we need to all get together and discuss this. there has to be something we can do, the builders are a bunch of cowboys and these apartments were not built right!

on another note i can hear the people upstairs from me talking - i dont think the sound proofing is adequate either!
there is a resident association being set up if you want to join? il send you a message with my details.

jen_coops

Hi, I know about the residents association, I have just read the minutes of the meeting with the garda on friday and it seems to me that very little was brought up about the problem of noise in the courtyard night after night!!! I am interested in meeting up, as far as i know grace (niamh) is arranging something I told her i would be free any night bar mondays

tripi13

thats great news! if we can get as many people as possible! i can do any evening except wednesday! how about next tuesday evening?