Cedarbrook ave constant damp and mould -get a petition started to get Sisk to sort it

Egannon82

Hi, after 8 years of being fobbed off by sisk and everyone passing the blame I have finally had enough. If like me you are stuck in negative equity hell and your living in an apartment that has constant damp, mould, leaking from above please forward me your details. I'm trying to get a petition started to get sisk to sort out the building fault. I genuinely feel the builders messed up and serious errors/ short cuts were taken in the building of cedarbrook. I have a case open and am waiting on sisk / sky property to get back to me but feel the more people there is complaining the quicker something might be done.

mulder

Still having major problems with mildew in my apartment. Has gotten completely out of control of late.

Was planning on getting on to sisk / sky property first thing Monday. Hadn't checked out the forum in quite a while so thought I'd check in ahead of call to see if this issue was still being discussed...glad I did.

Am all on for joining petition too....hopefully that will finally get something done on this.

cazart1

I believe theres a problem with east facing bedroom walls on the Avenue anyhow. I'm been dealing with recurring mould problems on the ceiling for the past six years. I've had Sisk out a year or two ago to deal with a moisture issue/ plasterwork crumbling away above the window frame in a bedroom. I had them look at the recurring mold problem on the ceiling in the other room whilst they were there. They seem to have solved the issue above the window frame but they denied there was also an issue in the other room with recurring mould. They used their standard fallback line that we're not ventilating the place enough after showers etc. which is not the case. I've been advised by a builder friend that the narrow ventilation vents built into the doors and window frames in Cedarbrook are not sufficient enough or fit for purpose and that I would need to knock through the wall and fit a proper vent or fan to solve the issue, otherwise the mold will just keep coming back.

I'm all for signing a petition. If enough of us banded together we could hire an independent building surveyor to carry out a proper inspection and furnish us with a report and suggested solutions. Sky Property and Sisk are well aware that there's a serious problem in Cedarbrook at this stage but they don't seem to want to admit it never mind address it. I think if enough people made a combined protest and we could show them an independent report highlighting the problem, maybe we'd get somewhere.

Star10

Hi, we live on the avenue-have had all the same problems-we even put our own vents in on the walls-solved the damp problem mostly, but mildew now appearing rapidly the past few weeks. Like the idea of an independent building surveyor cazart1...
How do I join the petition folks?

Brat

We live in Cedarbrook (Walk) We had some really bad damage caused by damp over our back door and got onto the management firstly who then put us in contact with the clowns at SISK (that was over two years ago) it got so bad you could actually put your finger through the over-head wall, with water dripping in any time we got rain or snow - We got through to SISK and were assured the problem would be solved (two years ago) sure enough a month after our call someone called Ed Dooley & an assistant came out and assessed the damage over the door & also damage to the bathroom window and said it was easily solved and they would be back in two weeks to repair the damage (that was TWO YEARS AGO) after a month nothing, we called with NO joy, soon after again again we called still nothing, the clowns didn't even have the decency to get back to us despite emails, calls, messages etc. . . EVENTUALLY after having to deal with some really arrogant son's of bitches representing SISK we again got through to the elusive Mr Dooley (Ahhh yes, I was just going through my files JUST NOW and was going to get in touch with you **[Bull****]** ) This was TWO YEARS LATER (did I mention that) So AGAIN the same two came out to our place again, assessed the damage AGAIN and this time said it was possibly OUR FAULT for not having the window open in the bathroom (We always do) I reminded him of our recent conversation (two yea....you get the idea) and was assured they (SISK) would be out within two weeks (sound familiar??) anyhow, two weeks later and................NOTHING !!! wow, I was sure he'd stick to his word (this time), SO we waited 3 weeks we called again, ah yes, we'll be out next monday to sort that out - Surprisingly Monday Morning came and someone from SISK did indeed arrive and 'solve' the issue over the door - the bathroom is still to be sorted...

I found dealing with this lot one giant pain in the arse BUT kept at them being as much of an arsehole back to the arrogant pig I sometimes got on the other end of the phone...
We know of several people around us who have similar problems OR WORSE and they still have to be addressed. One was even told by SISK it was their problem !!!
I was going to go down the road of publicly showing this SISK lot for what they are, and to be honest I still think I will, these 'Houses' were built by cow-boys using the cheapest material and are NOT built to last (it was merely a money making scam) and the ones left to suffer are us, IF I had known what a bad investment this place was before we got a mortgage and pissed our cash away on such a shabbily built estate I would have avoided it like the plague -

Egannon82

Hi, we have had the exact same hassle I could literally slap the head off your woman Catherine rogers in sisk if I ever met her. Did you receive my letter I posted them in all the leterboxes in cedarbrook. We are basically trying to get as many people from cedarbrook together to get details of all the hassle, what Measures/ costs you have incurred. I have set up an email account and so far I have had 15 replys, that was just from me posting 80 letters last thurs. I posted over 300 today so once I get a response from them we are going to organise to meet up and decide what actions to take. Can you send a copy of this email along with ur address and name. So far the walk and the ave seem to be the worst.

I reckon cedarbrook is on the same scale as priory hall a total shambles, email address is cedarbrook2012@gmail.com

Brat

Hi,
Yeah, I'll email you - had only gotten our letter and I decided to check it out (here) I was going to d something along the same lines as you, And had even planned on trying to get it highlighted by the media (then they might take notice) I will be talking to some others around the area and advise them to do the same (get in touch with you)..

doodlebug

Hi all, just discovered this site this week otherwise would have posted sooner. I bought a 1st floor 2 bed apt on the avenue in 2003 but have it rented out since 2008. From the day and hour I moved in I had serious problems with mould in the 2 back bedrooms. They are north facing and don't get any sun which doesn't help. The cause of the mould is simple, the ****ty vents in the side of the windows are nowhere near adequate for those apartments, especially seeing as the bathrooms are in the middle with no windows. I've had a nightmare of a time dealing with Sisk from 2003 up until last year! The same as all you guys dealing with Ed Dooley, Catherine Rogers etc and time after time being fobbed off by them. Everytime they came out the said it was my fault and I wasn't airing the place out enough, he even had the cheek to tell me this one Dec when it was like Siberia outside and we had a new born baby in the apt!! I'm not going to go into all the details as they sound very similar to all the crap you guys have also had to go through but eventually I got so fed up as my tenants were moving out after only a few weeks once they seen how rapidly the mould was spreading (and this was after having the walls industrially treated against mould!). It got so bad that I was struggling to rent my apartment at all because for one you could smell the damp the minute you walked in and secondly by the time I treated the walls, repainted and got it up on the market to rent the mould was already appearing back on the wall, I couldn't keep up with it. By 2010 I was in so much arrears as I can't afford to pay the mortgage unless I have rent money coming in I sent a massive letter of complaint to ALL of the board of directors at Sisk. I listed all the hassle I'd gone through and how it had effected me financially. Not to mention all the tenants had up and left with complaints of constant chest infections and breathing problems. Anyhow out comes Ed for the 100th time and eventually agreed to install proper ventilation in the walls of the bedrooms. As mine is a 1st floor apt he needed the permission of the girl in the apt below us to put up scaffolding in her garden to which she agreed only if he also installed the vents in her wall too as she had been having the same problems too! The vents were installed last year and so far I've not had any complaints but it'll be the during the colder months that I'll know for sure if it has worked for definite. I also know another girl on the avenue who was so convinced that she must have had a leak that she had the windows taken out and re-installed to no avail!
I think getting a petition up and running is crucial as Sisk won't be responsible for any problems after the 10 year period which is up fairly soon. But overall, as well as having all affected walls and ceilings treated with industrial mould killer (log on to http://www.moldbusters.ie/ to purchase this) you will definitely need additional vents installed in the walls. The window slot vents are simply not fit for their intended purpose, and certainly not in an apartment complex where apts are so compact with bathrooms sometimes in the center with no windows. Keep up the harassment and e-mail the board of directors like I did, it was the only thing that got any results for me.

mcdonaldc

Damp Problem at Cedarbrook

I have the same issues, although they are small enough, but I am sure will only grow. I would sign the petition. I have gotten Sisk out and they said there is no problem but there clearly is. They usually fob me off with open the windows, ventialte the place, etc.

cazart1

Guys,
I've had the mould/ damp problem for years but i think I've resolved it now. On the outside of your walls there is a small circular white vent about the size of a small saucer. There is a vent bored through the reinforced concrete all the way to where the builders decided to block it with insulating and then plasterboard from the inside. If you punch through the interior wall and insulating you've got yourself two functioning vents in both bedrooms and a properly ventilated apartment. Happy days. If anybody wants me to put them in touch with somebody who will do the job quickly, professionally and for a reasonable price PM me and I'll give you his details. Hope this helps.

mcdonaldc

Hi there, Thanks very much for this information, anything can help. Yes, would appreciate if you could send on the contact details you mentioned. The location of the damp in my apartment is the front room top corner and the corresponding back wall in the bottom corner of the bedroom. It's a first floor on Cedarbrook Ave. Was it a lot of punching through btw, sounds like inside walls will take a bit of work to clean up after they're finished!

cazart1

Hi Mcdonaldc, the vent is already bored through the reinforced concrete on the outside as the architect probably intended. To do this yourself (which was what I was intending to do before I discovered the existing vents) would cost roughly 300euro I'm told and be very messy as the drill bits need to be constantly watered and cooled. Luckily though all you need to do is punch through the plasterboard and insulating from the inside. The mess is minimal if you get somebody who knows what they're doing. I also live on the 1st floor Ave and have had problems with the bedrooms. I've PM'd you with contact details, hope it solves the problem for you.

theprop1

Hi Folks, I have the same problem in my apartment. It has got so bad that I cant keep tenants. They all get fed up with the constant cleaning of mildew and wanter running down windows, walls and doors. Was anything done with your places in the end. Have you managed to resolve it. I have cleaned it many times with mildew cleaner and also painted walls with damp proof paint but it just comes back. Im beng told that my tenant is not hanging washing up in the apartment and she is ventilating every day.

analist

Hi, I have just come across this forum and I was wondering if there was any further development on the petition to SISK regarding the damp, mould etc. in the apartments. I would happily sign up.

Have dealt with SISK several times over the years and they constantly fob me off, same as everyone else by the sounds of things!

theprop1

Hi, I got someone to open up the vents and it has cleared the mould and condensation completely. I could have done it myself once I saw what he did. It took him 2 mins. Its easy once you know where they are.

EnG

Hi there, we did the same last year, the vents on the outside wall had never been pushed through, we did this and installed vents on the bedroom wall, to be honest i am not sure it made a difference. We decided to dryline the back walls after we discovered that there was no insulation between the interior and exterior walls, doesn't surprise me at all, no thought went into the walls or floors.....love it when my upstairs neighbours bounce a ball around with their kids.....so considerate of them !!!! Tbh, drylining the walls has eradicated 95 % of our mould issues, just a small bit around the window as it was too cold to open the windows this winter !!

mrgm

Hi

I am just wondering if anyone knows of someone who can install a window extractor fan in the bathroom the whole job cut window glass etc. I noticed a few installed on some bathroom windows but when I knocked into the apartments I was told they were installed by Sky who told me it was SISK (I can't get anyone on the phone) so I think my only alternative is to do it myself as I can see from here that SISK are a bit of a lost cause and more so now as it's past the 10 year mark The condensation is awful after a shower and the water is literally running down the front door which subsequently doesn't have any vent

Thanks

dublin2014

cold windows and mould

Hi, after 8 years of being fobbed off by sisk and everyone passing the blame I have finally had enough. If like me you are stuck in negative equity hell and your living in an apartment that has constant damp, mould, leaking from above please forward me your details. I'm trying to get a petition started to get sisk to sort out the building fault. I genuinely feel the builders messed up and serious errors/ short cuts were taken in the building of cedarbrook. I have a case open and am waiting on sisk / sky property to get back to me but feel the more people there is complaining the quicker something might be done.
Hi there i just found this forum i am living in cedarbrook 9 years now and i have had constant trouble with mould around the windows and on the ceiling ,sisk and sky property at the time gave me the run around as you said passing blame and saying that i was not properly ventilating my apartment by having windows open regularly which is total crap as i was doing that .just wondering did you ever get to the bottom of your issue .thanks .

Grainnenew

So, I know a lot of time has gone past since these messages but are people still having damp problems on Cedarbrook Avenue? Anybody had any luck getting a resolution? Anybody have any luck with Sisk? Have we any hope after all these years??