Broadband

ElaineFitz

Hi
I am looking to get broadband in but I don't want to have a land line. If anyone already has a broadband service would appreciate any feedback.

I would need something for some downloading and working from home so it would have to be one of the higher end (I guess).

Appreciate any comments or info,
thanks,Elaine

Clon Brugh Resident

Moderator (Aikens Village)
Broadband suggestions

You could try Vodafone Mobile Connect Card (3G). It's not as fast as broadband but nearly as fast...also, I believe, they've just launched a broadband service. If you are a VF customer, it would be worth checking out. My 3 G coverage is perfect up in Clon Brugh.

conorl

Hi Elaine,
I've been using Ripwave from Irish Broadband (http://www.irishbroadband.ie) for almost a year now.
It's their most basic package and is trivial to set up.
It doesn't require a dish or anything to be installed outside.
There is no contract and you just pay around 19 euro per month.
The speed is 512K.
There are no monthly download limits.
However, Irish Broadband has had problems with being over subscribed, and I have had problems in the past with not being available to connect for more than a few hours. Although it has to be said that I don't think I've had that problem for a while.
Their more reliable packages are more expensive and require a dish to be installed outside.

In the last week or so Clearwire (http://www.clearwire.ie/) has become available in the area.
I am now signed up with them.
Setup is as trivial as Ripwave.
However, you have to sign up to them for at least 1 year, and you pay for their kit unless you sign up for 2 years.
It's more expensive that Ripwave.
Their 1MB service is 30 euro per month for the first 6 months and 40 per month after that.
Their 2MB service is the same price as the 1MB service for the first 6 months, but increases to 50 euro per month after that.
They have a 10GB monthly download limit, which should be more than enough for most people.
I only got their kit yesterday and my initial reaction is that it seems not to be as fast as the supposedly slower Ripwave.
However, I didn't use it all that much last night, and maybe my impression will improve over time.
Like IrishBroadband, Clearwire have more business oriented packages that require the installation of an external dish.

As far as I know these two packages are the only two wireless services available in the area that don't require the installation of an external dish.

Like you I don't have a phone line.
I have a VoIP phone and I have made calls over Ripwave without any quality problems, although I have heard that Ripwave is generally not recommended for VoIP calls.

Let me know if if you have any other questions that I may be able to answer.

Conor

conorl

You might want to look into getting a phone line.
I've heard that BT broadband is 40 euro per month (i.e. the same as the basic ClearWire package) and that includes line rental.
I don't know what speed or download limit you get for that.

It may not affect you, but some broadband providers don't allow users to use BitTorrent or other peer-to-peer protocols, although there generally are ways around that.

ElaineFitz

Was just on the BT site and they have some interesting deals alright, will have to crack open the calculator and compare against Eircom. I think its the route I'll have to go anyway.

(Can't be missing out on downloading new season shows from the states due to restrictions!!)

thanks for all your help.

hazela

Hi Elaine,

I too used Ripwave from Irish Broadband but at about €19 a month it was a bit too slow and often times difficult to get online so I took the plunge and got my land line activated by Eircom for free until end of November.

I signed up with UTV Clicksilver (www.u.tv).
They have a special offer package of 1MB broadband and free local, national and UK landline calls after 6pm weekdays and at weekends - it's €9.99 for 1st 3 months and 16.50 a month thereafter so including your landline rental it's about €41 all in. This is the very basic package so depending on your level of use it may cost more :)

Hazel

ElaineFitz

Hi Hazel
I checked out utv, and it seems pretty good, a friend of mine has it too and recommended it.

Might just do a comparison between utv and BT and see which one to go for.

First things first I'll get Eircom to set up the phone line.

thanks
Elaine

NickCluainShee

Hi Elaine,

Did you have any luck with getting Broadband. I'm eventually getting rid of eircom land line and dial up and looking at the options available. There is a new ripwave plus for €24 per month 1mb download anybody have any experience with this.
Thanks,

Nick

ElaineFitz

Hi Nick,
In the end I went with BT, landline, broadband and you have a few different
options in terms of downloads etc.

I had to contact once for help and I have to say I was very impressed by
their support.

Web page is www.btireland.ie for info, I guess you could check out for at
least comparison.

I use mine for work and PS3 so I mostly have it wired and not wireless, but
again I've not had problems.

Any questions just let me know.

Elaine

hazela

Hi Nick,

I started out with Irish broadband 512mb (the €20/month option) but i found the service was patchy and sometimes it was difficult to get a signal at all. So I took the plunge, got a landline and moved to UTV.

Maybe you'll have better luck with a signal where you are.

Apparently Metrobroadband (the Digilite crowd) have a transmitter on 3Rock so maybe their service might be better?

123John123

thanks for the advice Hazela.

i had irish broadband booked one month ago. They put up a satelite and never connected the system. It seemed like i was never going to get the internet so i cancelled them and got bt which is working great.

John

NickCluainShee

Thanks for the advice - I went for Ripwave Plus with IBB and so far so good. Download speeds upto 800kpps sometimes - contention rate of 40 to 1 so it fluctuates. Only had it about 2 weeks so far so will keep you posted.

aidali

Ripwave Plus

Hi All,

My Ripwave Plus can't get any signal at all. I bought the modem last week and till now the modem is keep searching...

hazela

My broadband saga began when I started out with an Irish Broadband Ripwave for €18.95/month but I got a very patchy signal and often times it took several attempts to get a connection at all, so I ditched that and in the absence of any other decent wireless providers at the time I decided to get a landline and go with UTV broadband, which was a good enough service and bundled with a free evening/local/national and UK calls package (about €44/month).

As I am light user of broadband, I found the UTV package was too expensive for my needs so at the moment I am using the new 3 data modem for €20/month which is perfect for the kind of surfing I need to do. It also means no messy wires or modems so if you are out and about you've got your internet access with you. The signal is far stronger than Irish broadband too.

reka

Hi, as post are pretty old I have to ask again...
Is there any good broadband provider available in Grianan Fidh? I need reliable one for working...
when I was viewing and paying deposit for the apartment the agent guy sad there is NTL and now I discovered it was false information. NTL sad they are not covering Grianan Fidh. Annoying!

MrMac

Reka,

I had Clearwire broadband for the past year or so, it works just fine, and was quite reliable, but I wanted something faster. Clearwire isn't very good for downloading youtube videos, or voip, its just not fast enough for work.

I switched to Eircom recently and the speeds are very good (3mb package) - but I believe the BT option is cheaper and I'll probably switch to them in a year once my contract with Eircom expires.

reka

Reka,

I had Clearwire broadband for the past year or so, it works just fine, and was quite reliable, but I wanted something faster. Clearwire isn't very good for downloading youtube videos, or voip, its just not fast enough for work.

I switched to Eircom recently and the speeds are very good (3mb package) - but I believe the BT option is cheaper and I'll probably switch to them in a year once my contract with Eircom expires.
Thanks MrMac,

I had a research and think will get 3G mobile broadband. Fast enough, and seems reliable...

MrMac

Hey Reka,

Be careful with the 3G mobile broadband. I have it on my work computer and the signal is fine outdoors but not great indoors. Make sure you get a trial before you commit. I have the vodafone and while it works in some parts of the house, its dodgy in others. It might be better where you live though.

Kine

A friend lives in Belarmine and uses 3, says it's very poor.

Wireless is never a real option in my view unless you cant get a land line. If/when NTL arrive I'll be a happy bunny, but until then I'll stick with BT.