Bonfire

claireb

Moderator (Orwell Park)
Hi all,

Just to let you know that the Residents Association are trying to stop the Bonfire on the Orwell Green due to the riots that were suffered last year. If you were planning on dumping on the green please don't, the guards will be there this year and will be handing out littering fines.

Also if you have any children that were planning on having a bonfire please advise them that this year it is being banned and the guards will be on the green all day to stop anyone trying to start one.

Tks
claire

crosstownk

Moderator (Wainsfort)
From what I hear, there will be a council truck at the green waiting to take any wood or other materials that are destined to be burnt. The 'banning' of the bonfire seems to have the full endorsement of SDCC and the Gardaí.

I witnessed countless people last year who brought household rubbish and threw it on the bonfire.

Many years ago I was among the first group of lads who built the Orwell bonfire each year without any trouble whatsoever - its a shame that this tradition has been marred by others.

claireb

Moderator (Orwell Park)
crosstownk, my DH was one of the ones years ago who helped with the bonfire but it has just gotten out of control over the last few years, there was unbelievable trouble last year, guards had to be called in from Terenure, Tallaght and Crumlin to help so the guards this year asked the Residents Association to help with stopping it. SDCC have agreed also and have their truck on call to come and collect anything that is left, so hopefully there will be nothing. The amount of people that dumped last year was unreal, we live near enough to the green and saw them stopping their cars and getting out and dumping their rubbish, disgraceful really.

crosstownk

Moderator (Wainsfort)
claireb said:
crosstownk, my DH was one of the ones years ago who helped with the bonfire but it has just gotten out of control over the last few years, there was unbelievable trouble last year, guards had to be called in from Terenure, Tallaght and Crumlin to help so the guards this year asked the Residents Association to help with stopping it. SDCC have agreed also and have their truck on call to come and collect anything that is left, so hopefully there will be nothing. The amount of people that dumped last year was unreal, we live near enough to the green and saw them stopping their cars and getting out and dumping their rubbish, disgraceful really.
Yep - thats exactly what happened. Disgraceful, imo.

I noticed the sign up at the corner of the green nearest the shop on my way home from work - it had been vandalised :rolleyes: I've also heard that SDCC will have an 'official' bonfire next year, which sounds like a good idea.

It felt weird driving by the green and seeing no bonfire - for the first time in nearly 30 years...............

claireb

Moderator (Orwell Park)
Well at least it worked, there was no bonfire and no trouble at all last night, the council put up their signs and one of them was set alight but soon put out. The council stayed on the green til after 9 last night. Bonfire was missed but at least there was no trouble and all were safe.

crosstownk

Moderator (Wainsfort)
Yeah - great to see it. And fair play to the residents association for taking such an active role.