Anyone have a manual for the pump?

Thoie

I suspect that the pressure in my pump isn't quite right. Someone mentioned previously that there's a specific pressure the "thing" should be at, and there's a valve on the top of the pump where you adjust it (presumably with a compressor). I never received any manual or details for my pump when moving in - does anyone else have a copy that they could loan me, or scan in?

nancy74

id reckon between a half bar and bar of pressure but thats just off the top of my head , whats the syptoms with the pump , its very rarely the expansion vessel is the problem with them , whats the make of it also

Thoie

I'm not sure of the make to be honest and can't find it. And 0.9 bar is ringing a bell, but obviously there's a bit of a difference between .5 and 1 :)

Expansion vessel was the phrase I was looking for though, thanks!

The pump kicks in for about 10 seconds every few hours. There are no leaks/drips that I've been able to find, the cisterns aren't continuously filling, and a "plumber-like" person said I needed to check the pressure in the expansion vessel.

If I can find out what the pressure should be, I'd like to start with that to see if it sorts things out, as it's a cheap and easy fix.

nancy74

its a leak somewhere dude , only if the expansion vessel was leaking air fairly rapidly would pumping it up help , and then you would be pumping it up every hour or so ,
could be a number of pump problems a leak somewhere would be your best hope , i heard before two teaspoons of water will cause it to run so that every hour or so will be hard to find , could be a dripping shower , toilet ,tap fitting in the floor etc
99 per cent of the time its a leak

Thoie

:(

I've wrapped kitchen roll around every joint I can reach, which is the majority of them, and put kitchen roll under each of the taps overnight, no signs of drips there. Toilet cisterns look OK, though to be fair I haven't watched them for hours. The only other thing I can think of is if the washing machine is taking in a minute amount of water when it's off (grit in the valve maybe?). I've also noticed that it happens more often in warm weather than in cold. Thanks for your help anyway Nancy.

nancy74

put a paint brush or hold a bit of tissue at back of toilet pan where the water flushes down from cistern , if its overflowing youll see it then , let the cistern be full first .

Thoie

I went with toilet paper. Never heard of using a paint brush before - is it the same idea - you'd notice if it was wet? Or does the paintbrush do something different?

michaelanthony

Not sure if it the source of your problem, but the expansion vessels are being replaced in the plant room of the basement of the concert building. coulld be the same in the academy

same thing really , paintbrush just stems the flow and makes the water more visible

bren321

Hi

Did you ever get this 10 second pump blast sorted???? The exact same thing is happening to mine and eventually the pump gets so hot it won't work for a while. I have checked every joint and both cisterns and I can not find a leak!

Thanks

bren321

Just thought I'd share,

I have been having problems with my pump for months now and I finally got it sorted today. I used a plumber from the shower doctors who are based in Parkwest. The guy was really helpful and tested the pumps pressure, system pressure and capacitor before determining it was the capacitor which needed replacing. In totalmiy cost €120. He said all the pumps in Parkwest should be the Monsoon make which are good pumps and should not need replacing.

Shower docs offer a bring and test service if anyone can take there pump out and bring it to them for assessment.

Thoie

Thanks Bren321 - only saw this now.

My expansion vessel was slowly leaking and had to be replaced. Apparently it's fairly common due to where they're situated (right beside the hot water tank). My plumber said that if I'd topped up the air it probably would have been OK, but because I hadn't done it, it went completely.

0.9 bar is the correct pressure setting if anyone needs to do theirs!

walking life

Well it finally looks like my pump has given up the ghost - soon to be entering sponge baths and smelly clothes territory. Does anyone know the exact model and make of pump installed (i'm in the academy)? I believe it is a "Stuart Turner" but its very difficult to read the model number as my washing machine is in the way and i'd rather like to avoid having to move the washing machine out as its a weighty piece of equipment. In other words i'd like to download the appropriate manual for the pump before shifting heavy stuff out of the hotpress area. Many thanks!

Thoie

I've never had a manual, but rather than moving the washing machine, if you have a small camera (or camera phone), you could try reaching in with your arm and see if you can get a photo, then read the details from there?

I'll take a look around over the weekend and see what details I can dig up.

Oh, and if you ring Modern Plant (they're just before the Red Cow), they'll probably know once you tell them where you are.

http://www.modernplant.ie/?Contact=1

irishstu

Brooke's in bluebell. It's a Stuart turner apartment pump. Very common and common regarding seals and pcbs breaking. Due to age and fair wear and tear. About 700 to replace or simply heating in yellow pages will supply recon one for about 250 to 300

walking life

Thanks for all the info - my pump is back working after discovering a gentle tap with a hammer near the base jumps starts it back to noisy life. Hopefully it will last long enough for me to save up the required readies for a replacement.

bren321

Yep, Sounds like the Capacitor is gone. if the pump wont kick into life but makes a humming noise then this is most likely the problem

It's sporadic for us. It'll work most of the time but then it will just cut off and water will stop. Only way to get it back working is to reset the switch on the power board.