114 bus under threat.

McGaggs

The bus driver today was saying that the 114 route is one that Dublin Bus are thinking of scrapping.

Does anyone know is there anything we can do about it?

discogirl

Hoepfully not as there is no alternative mode of transport up this way. I don't use it myself but my boyfriend and neighbour rely on it to connect with the dart in the morning,.

ct_Roy

hey guys,

while I don't use the bus myself I do know a lot of people rely heavily on the bus to commute every day.

removing the bus service is unacceptable in my view as the development needs it and I can imagine many would be lost without it

Are there any local politicians we can flag this with to raise some awareness on this before it's too late?

Dublin Bus is a subsidised semi-state run company - we should use people power to protect the route

Fleetwood

I rarely use the service but Olivia Mitchell was the one that campagined to have the bus service increase the departures from 10 to 16 times a day during week days. So if you guys are going to lobby her to keep this service operational campagin for them to start a sunday and bank holiday service too. My reason for this I rent my spare room and trying to get a tenant that relys on public transport is a must and with no public transport on sundays and bank holidays. So it would be a shame if this service was curtailed.

rockview_Abi

Just to let you know I picked up a leaflet on the bus today which gives info on the routes where departures are lost. With regards 114, 22 departures are lost Mon-Fri but more importantly in brackets it says the terminus is to be changed to Belermine. I guess that means we'll have to pick it up at Killcross. 4 departures will be gone on Sat and cuts in the 44 route if anyone uses that.

villa

I just sent an email to Olivia Mitchell. I will keep you update if I hear anything back. I hope everyone else has done the same. We need as many people as possible to campaign to keep the bus route.

Fleetwood

We are going have to widen the priameters of this protest and envolve the residance of Ticknock Hill to help campagin in keeping our Bus Service.

villa

See attached response from Olivia Mitchell. It seems that we will not lose the terminus to Belarmine which for me was the biggest issue

First of all thank you very much for your email about the bus services. Needless to say I have taken an interest in all of the planned cuts in Dublin South and I have to say they are pretty dramatic right across the constituency. However, I have a particular interest in the No. 114 given that I must have made a hundred calls and written dozens of letters to get the route established in the first place. As you rightly say there are changes proposed for this route which would see it cut by 50%.

I have written in the first instance to the Chief Executive of Dublin Bus pleading with him to maintain this service and pointing out that there is no alternative available to people living on the Blackglen Road and also that even if residents were willing to walk to pick-up other routes there really is no safe way to make journeys on foot on the Blackglen Road.

I have also however, spoken to the section responsible for the new timetables which apparently, across the city are designed to save €15 million and involve the removal of about 120 buses from the network. He tells me that of the four buses which currently serve the No. 114 route two will be removed. The existing timetable as you know in the morning for instance is 7.25am, 7.55am, 8.25am and 8.55am and the planned times are 7.00, 7.45, 8.45 and 11.45. The business development manager promises they are trying to keep as many peak hour buses as possible and that the savings would be made on daytime routes, but as you can see removing two buses makes that very difficult.

He tells me that any changes will be kept under review, but that the usage from the area is not that great and one of the reasons it is being kept at all is that there is much better take-up from the Dart heading towards the industrial estate. So it might be worth while to mention this in residents' newsletters and it might encourage people to use it, even occasionally.

As I am sure you have heard the whole issue of the savings in Dublin Bus is to be referred to the LRC and discussed over the next week. The objective of course is to try and find other areas where costs can be cut rather than cutting actual services. If that is the case then obviously the cuts to the No. 114 may not be necessary or at least not as drastic as currently proposed.

Finally, there was a rumour that the service would be removed from Ticknock and the terminus put up at Belarmine. This I am told is not in fact the case. It was considered briefly but rejected.

I can assure you that I will be monitoring this very closely and will try to do everything I can to preserve this service for which we fought for so long. In any event I will let you know if I hear anything at all.

Kind regards,

Olivia

rockview_lola

There will be a petition put up on all block notice boards over the weekend in relation to putting pressure on Dublin Bus to keep the 114 bus route going. The Residents Association are working with KPM & local TD's to do as much as possible to ensure the continuation of the route but need the support of ALL residents.

The bus route is HUGELY important for the development & it could really effect future sales of apartments etc so we need to make sure it stays.

Please make sure you sign the petition! Thanks

Fleetwood

Hey lola

I don't use the service much, but I do have a two bed apt and in the process of renting out my spare room and I'm counting on the bus service to help to get the room occupied. I therefore will be signing the petition and urge others in my predicment to do the same.

discogirl

Here's the new timetable. The times in the evening are a joke for anyone working in town connecting with the DART or LUAS. One leaves Blackrock at 1630 and then the next one is 2020!

Fleetwood

Disco girl

Excuse my language everyone, but is that a feckin joke that the new timetable is from Monday to Saturday in stead Mon to Fri and then Sat. so there will be no late night service after 21:00 from here towards blackrock.

I now agree with the late Seamus Brennan that CIE and Dublin Bus should have been Privatise to consumer demands.

McGaggs

The times were a joke to connect with the Luas coming home as it was without reducing the service. I have to walk as it is.

discogirl

The service changes have been deferred for another week as Dublin Bus are in the labour court this week. Anyone who is affected by the new times coming home from working in town in the evenings please email Olivia Mitchell ASAP conveying your dissatisfaction. Maybe they will add a few more suitable times if enough people get in contact.

discogirl

The changes are coming in on 10th may so still time to petition Dublin bus to try get better timings. If they affect you PLEASE mail them :)

discogirl

The new timings although better than the other proposed ones are still pretty rubbish for anyone working till 1730 in town and tries to connect with the 114from the DART. There isn't one untill 1910. I know passenger load on the 114 is small but you think they would try find out which times suit people that do actually use the route to try bump up their numbers.

pro-painter

could be just waffle, its actually Irish Rail who pay for the service, it's a dart feeder bus, unless they scrap it Dublin bus won't touch the service