UPC vs Magnet - Please compare and rate their services in Adamstown Castle ...

C

Conrad

I signed up for 120MB BB + Unlimited local and national and mobile calls. I installed UPC cable router 2 days back. To check the speed, I connected the LAN port of the Router directly to the LAN port of my Netgear WNDR 4500 port in my Notebook. I then went to the speedtest.net (Ookla) page and checked the broadband speeed.

I was getting only 10Mbps. I was shocked to see this result.

After noon again I checked the speed was 60 Mbps.

Next day morning, I checked the speed was around 115-120 Mbps

I dont understand how this much variance / fluctuating speeds in broadband occurs with UPC. The connection speed with Magnet (which I am till now) was always they promised. I talked to UPC sales team and they couldnt tell me which Cable modem Router I am going to get. Speaking with Sales -> Technical Support -> Customer Support -> Sales : Endless loop of conversations!

1. Do any one else face the same issue with UPC Broadband?Please share your experience. This is the first time I am on a cable network

2. Do I need to configure the UPC Router to get optimum speed?

3. What would be the procedure to cancel the UPC account if the connection speed falls bellow 100 Mbps or BB speed varies consistently.

4. After the cooling off period of 14 days I would have to pay 200 Euro to cancel UPC account, which is scary and crazy at the same time!

Hearing that I am switching to UPC, Magnet offered me 30 Euro for 60Mb BB, Unlimited Local and National Calls and 100 International calls.

So still cant decide between UPC and Magnet !

Any suggestions welcome ?

abieganski

I've had UPC since I've moved here.

At the beginning I was on some 40Mbps I think, and it was very good, and the wifi worked very well.

Then at some point I got a better package, because I wanted unlimited download (previously it was 250GB). So I got 200Mbps. And they replaced the old Motorola modem with some Thompson/no-name crap.

The wired speed is pretty good, although not always 200Mbps; on my main PC that I spend most time on I have a 100Mbps network card, so I can't always check. But can't really complain about the wired speed.

However, the wifi is total ****. The range is very narrow, and first thing you have to do is set the wifi channel on the modem to a constant, otherwise it keeps flipping between channels and all your devices keep disconnecting.

The wifi in the modem actually broke not so long ago, so they replaced it with yet another crapbox, and the wifi range is even worse!

They told me that wifi is just "complimentary", i.e. it's not part of the contract, so they don't have to provide it or care about how good my range is :(

So with the modem I have now - I can connect to the wifi on the same floor that the modem is, but when I go downstairs, the signal is really weak and devices keep disconnecting.

That said - the wired connection is OK. When testing on your laptop make sure the laptop is actually using the cable connection (sometimes laptops stay on the wifi even though you insert the cable plug).
The speed will depend on contention (people on the same subnet), but 10Mbps on a 120Mbps connection is a joke. If it's consistently that low, I'd go back to UPC and ask them WTF, although it is very hard, coz you just get on the carousel you mentioned.
You could also try to talk to them on facebook (UPC Ireland) - I found it a bit easier, you don't have to wait in a queue.
Also, when you get through to them on the phone, try saying you want to talk to the broadband tech support (they're actually different people, more like network admins, rather than the generic support people you normally get to talk to).

Wow, I've been a bit long-winded here. Sorry.

C

Conrad

abieganski, Many Thanks for the reply.

The UPC Technician brought a Technicolour / Technilink modem. I requested the sales to give me the latest modem available, but they told me that whatever is in the warehouse would be selected.

Also did your UPC charges changes during the contract period, or did it stayed long during the whole duration of the contract? My friend was complaining that they keep on increasing the charges even during the contract period1

abieganski

Oh, yeah, the Technicolor modem is the one I've got now (it's also called Thompson, it's the same thing, just different label). The one in which the wifi broke was also Technicolor/Thompson. So they are pretty ****, i.e. no comparison with the Motorola I had had before, which was great.

It seems to me they signed up with the company that makes those Technicolors, and got them for 5 euros a pop or something. At least the WPS functionality works in my current one (it didn't in the previous Technicolor).

As per increases - yes, a month or two ago they raised the prices by some 15%. We had the option of giving up their service (without paying the penalty) because of them actually breaching the terms of the contract, but I've got TV from them as well, so there's no alternative for me.

Previously (a year ago maybe) they raised the prices by a couple of percent as well, but nothing major. The last raise was a bit outrageous (they gave us better broadband speed for this, but 200Mbit->230Mbit doesn't make much difference).

C

Conrad

Is it worth buying a good cable modem myself and connecting it to the UPC cable?

I am worried about the price increase UPC does every couple of months. If I had to go back to Magnet, i wont get the same I am on with them now!

abieganski

I'm not sure you can connect your own cable modem - I think they would have to unblock its MAC address.

When they were swapping the one with broken wifi for a new one for me, the old one stopped working, because they blocked it, and unblocked the new one.

It might be possible to get them to unblock your modem's MAC address, assuming you manage to jump through a few hoops (get through to the right person in support).

C

Conrad

I'm not sure you can connect your own cable modem - I think they would have to unblock its MAC address.

When they were swapping the one with broken wifi for a new one for me, the old one stopped working, because they blocked it, and unblocked the new one.

It might be possible to get them to unblock your modem's MAC address, assuming you manage to jump through a few hoops (get through to the right person in support).
How long you are with UPC? I heard that they increase their price several times in an year! Do you have any experience like that? If yes, I would continue with Magnet. Simply cannot afford an increased price.

abieganski

I've been with them since 2009. I don't remember how many times they've raised prices, but I'd say once a year there's been a raise on average.

doitnow

I signed up for 120MB BB + Unlimited local and national and mobile calls. I installed UPC cable router 2 days back. To check the speed, I connected the LAN port of the Router directly to the LAN port of my Netgear WNDR 4500 port in my Notebook. I then went to the speedtest.net (Ookla) page and checked the broadband speeed.

I was getting only 10Mbps. I was shocked to see this result.

After noon again I checked the speed was 60 Mbps.

Next day morning, I checked the speed was around 115-120 Mbps

I dont understand how this much variance / fluctuating speeds in broadband occurs with UPC. The connection speed with Magnet (which I am till now) was always they promised. I talked to UPC sales team and they couldnt tell me which Cable modem Router I am going to get. Speaking with Sales -> Technical Support -> Customer Support -> Sales : Endless loop of conversations!

1. Do any one else face the same issue with UPC Broadband?Please share your experience. This is the first time I am on a cable network

2. Do I need to configure the UPC Router to get optimum speed?

3. What would be the procedure to cancel the UPC account if the connection speed falls bellow 100 Mbps or BB speed varies consistently.

4. After the cooling off period of 14 days I would have to pay 200 Euro to cancel UPC account, which is scary and crazy at the same time!

Hearing that I am switching to UPC, Magnet offered me 30 Euro for 60Mb BB, Unlimited Local and National Calls and 100 International calls.

So still cant decide between UPC and Magnet !

Any suggestions welcome ?
First of all you will need to calm down. Don't mind these speed tests coz they'll give you different results every each time. More likely its down to your wifi connection.

Hook your PC/laptop via proper Ethernet cable (at least Cat.5e) and you see much stable stream. Remember you will never get perfect connection through wifi.

I found UPC very efficient and have been with them for the past 10 years (NTL etc.) You won't get anything better right now.

If you not happy with their Thomson wifi router, simply buy a new one. Just turn off wifi on UPC modem/router, hook up your new router into UPC modem/router and enjoy much stable wifi connection.

I wish you hyperspeed :)

cant answer your question fully but what I can tell you is that the service offered by Magnet is far superior (even if more expensive) than that supplied by UPC. This is becuase Magent use "Fibre to the home". Meaning they actually installed fiber optic cable right into every house and apartment built in Adamstown during construction. UPC sales are constantly ringing me FALSELY claiming that they offer the fastest broadband in my area. Their sales reps dont even seem know the difference between FTTH and their own inferior product which delivers broadband over coax cable to homes and possibly (but not certain due to the way they also lie about this) running fibre to the street (This is what eircom and UPC do). With your fluctuating speeds, it may be related. Bottom line, dont believe UPC. Next time they try to spin this lies about being the fastest broadband in the area Im going to contact comreg!

doitnow

@adamstown_ned

Don't be ridiculous. I have UPC and I'm getting what I'm paying for. My plan is 'Fibre Power Broadband 120Mb' and on cable connection I get over 120Mbps and on wireless around 50Mbps. If you not happy with their wifi router get a new one and stop moaning. See screen shots.

FTTH or not, my connection is stable and I pay only a fraction of what Magnet is offering right now.

My UPC plan consist Internet+Phone (Fibre Power 120 & Anywhere 150) @45euro/month

Cable connection:

UPC TEST CABLE CONNECTION.JPG

Wifi:

UPC TEST WIFI CONNECTION.JPG

Edit:typo

Last edited:
Im happy with what im getting. Im not happy with UPC lying about their service. Dont think it was moaning, just answering the quesiton. Magnet is superior and i outlined exactly why. There is nothing wrong with my router.

slithzerikai

Im happy with what im getting. Im not happy with UPC lying about their service. Dont think it was moaning, just answering the quesiton. Magnet is superior and i outlined exactly why. There is nothing wrong with my router.
If they are such liars you should report them. Otherwise this is plain libel and you should choose your words more carefully.

I dislike UPC because of my past experiences with their technical support, things such as 'we will send someone, the next available engineer will be able to visit you in two weeks'. Or leaving my house without internet service for a whole 4 days and then refunding me 40 cents for the 4 days (I do pay more than 10 cents per day!).

Also dislike UPC for that absurd policy they used to have (they still do maybe?) where they would charge you an extra for not having contracted TV package with them. The 'broadband only' service fee. Of course this was so that they could advertise a cheaper cost for broadband than they really had.

I'm happy with Magnet because they have never failed to send an engineer and replace equipment without any quibbles.

Speedwise magnet delivers the 100MB reliably, this is through FTTH package.