Leak next to shower door in en-suite

Nush

We have a persistent leak next to our shower door, in the actual plasterboard bit that connects to the shower door in the en-suite shower. Its just above the skirting board on the lower right hand side and the plasterboard gets absolutely soggy whenever you have a shower. We first thought that the leak was due to the silicon not being sufficient around the inside of the door and the shower basin but no matter how much we have had new silicon put down...we still have a leak. We cannot use the en-suite at all now.... has anyone else had the same problem? If so, what was needed to fix it?

FalkirkFC

Had the exact same problem in the park. Called Morris and the bottom tiles all round the shower tray were coming away from the rest of the tiles. There was a small crack all the way round the top of the 1st tiles above the tray. Get this fixed as soon as you can before the plaster board needs to be replaced.

Anders

So far, it seems our problem there has been fixed. They hadn't sealed *under* the shower door properly, so the water followed underneath the frame in towards the wall causing water marks on the plasterboard.

Of course "that was nothing to worry about, and some paint will fix it" .. Humm..

We had a leak in our ensuite due to a faulty seal which damaged the bedroom & hall laminate flooring.

Castlethorn repaired the leak and replaced the damaged flooring for us no problem at all.

Anders

So, the leaking started again. Had a guy out during the week.

"Ah, I see, you have silicone along the inside of the door. If we remove that, the water can get out from under the tiles" .. <cut, snip, remove>

Next shower ..

Puddle on floor .. Umm, yes, that was probably a smart idea.

Considering the fact, there should not be any water ever managing to get under the tiles, that must've been a real "light bulb moment" ..

Thank you Castlethorn .. :thumbsup:

PS: This has "only" been going on since about a year back. Not that we're in a rush or anything... But come on now .. (Yeah, I do hope you read this CT, I could do with that en-suite shower by now, really..)

FalkirkFC

Hi Anders,
Did you ever get this fixed properly. Ours is leaking again. Don't know if it will be a waste of time getting them back again.

Anders

Actually, we did. There was water getting in under the door frame. Apparently, there should have been silicone under it too, for that reason.

Though, the fellas also thought there should be no silicone along the side of the frame, " to allow water to flow out again". In my mind, it shouldn't get in there in the first place. Once we had sealed up everything there, it was fine.

On the side where it leaks, you can loosen the screw attaching frame to wall. The frame is slightly smaller than it might seem. Due to the plastic on the sides, which are adjustable. Move that in towards the door as much as you can and you should see where the water seeps in. Add some silicone there, and fir everything back.

Just make sure the door and frame doesn't move too much "forwards" or "backwards" as it might pop out completely then. Also not good if the screws on the other side haven't been loosened up.

Next step is to check along the whole frame (including the section just under the door) and fill any gaps you see with silicone. Seal it up nice and proper, and your headaches will go away ..

This would take perhaps 30 minutes to do, so not too much work, really. All the checking and double checking is what is actually taking the time. The work itself really doesn't take too long.

coolperson

Hi Anders, I am having the same issues at my home. Just wondering how did you get it finally fixed ? Did you engage any plumber / handyman ?

Any guidance will be appreciated..Thank you