Is it true what I am hearing about having to text to park???

residentr

Hi,

I am wondering if it is true that people parking in the visitors spaces will have to send a text message to park?? I was unable to attend the AGM due to working away that week but I did not see the imposition of text parking listed as an item for vote/discussion on the agenda and surely the rules for AGMs would require owners to be aware of such proposals before a vote on their adoption or not.

I am mailing wyse to see if they can enlighten me but I was wondering if anyone on here knew what was happening. Surely we are now not on top of all the other fees we pay now going to have to pay to text APOCA - I really hope this is not the case aside from lining the pockets of a clamping company our already swimming in negative equity properties will be even more unattractive to perspective buyers when we go to sell them - who wants to buy a home somewhere where your family and friends have to send a text message to park!

olcovar

Hi,

I am wondering if it is true that people parking in the visitors spaces will have to send a text message to park?? I was unable to attend the AGM due to working away that week but I did not see the imposition of text parking listed as an item for vote/discussion on the agenda and surely the rules for AGMs would require owners to be aware of such proposals before a vote on their adoption or not.

I am mailing wyse to see if they can enlighten me but I was wondering if anyone on here knew what was happening. Surely we are now not on top of all the other fees we pay now going to have to pay to text APOCA - I really hope this is not the case aside from lining the pockets of a clamping company our already swimming in negative equity properties will be even more unattractive to perspective buyers when we go to sell them - who wants to buy a home somewhere where your family and friends have to send a text message to park!
I think this is a great idea, far too many people living in the development monopolise visitor spaces on a consistent basis.
I would rather my family and friends being able to actually find a parking space with a V to park in and sending a simple text over never being able to find a space under the current arrangements?
APCOA won't gain any income from you sending a text, it is your mobile operator who gets revenue from that!

waynolcovar

something needs to be done about the parking and everything has failed up to now so if it works then i dont have a problem with it, i have one car and at nite i cant have visitors because they can never find a parking space, on numerous occasions my parents came to visit , drove around for half an hour and ended up having to just drive home because of selfish residents with 2 cars using visitor spaces as their free second parking space, if it stops all that well its a good thing in my opinion

amooney

Please, please give it a rest over the parking. It is what it is, clamping was brought in despite opposition and now you want to bring in text parking. Is it not enough that we have clampers prowling the estate like vultures looking for some easy money? Now you want to line their pockets with text parking yet Wyse won't even disclose ANY details on the contract they have with Apcoa?

EHH

Between me and my husband we have one car, which on a day to day basis is fine with our one space. However if we have any visitor whatsoever, 99% of the time they have to park across the road by One Cafe. This is absolute madness, when you think about the amount of visitor spaces there. They are full every evening with the same cars (one that stands out is the lime green beetle!) - so it's clear that they are second cars, not visitors.
This is so unfair to people who follow the rules - and any suggestions to eliminate this problem should be welcomed, not rubbished. I presume the people rubbishing these ideas are the ones constantly parking in the visitor spaces themselves?!

ems

Sorry guys but residents must get priority over visitors. We live here after all, we're not just visiting. Simple as - this texting to park situation is going to further reduce the price of all of our properties - who wants to rent or buy somewhere they can have max 1 car?? This was done without the consent of residences, I for one will be taking legal advice.

residentr

As far as I understand it the common areas are under the control of Tudor Homes so it might be an idea to get your Solicitor to contact both them and Wyse - that is what I will be doing anyway

Tudor Homes

Tel: 353 1 288 5027
Lonsdale House Avoca Avenue, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin, Ireland.
email:info@tudorhomes.ie

EHH

Everyone was allocated one space when they bought their property and that hasn't changed. At the end of the day residents who are parking their second car in a visitor space every day are being selfish and were well aware of the parking situation from the beginning. Living in a development which has virtually no visitor parking is not fair on everyone playing by the rules.

olcovar

Hi,

If you need to text to park maybe you could consider shopping around what mobile operator you are with, many offer free texts as part of their packages.
You can also use apps such as WhatsApp to send texts free of charge if you have a smart phone.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but texts are not exactly expensive.

A member of my family lives in an apartment complex in Dundrum with maybe three or four visitor spaces and absolutely no undesignated spaces, count yourself lucky that Olcovar will have twenty four visitor spaces for your friends and family to use and there will also be an additional twenty one spaces for residents to use on a first come, first serve basis.

Seriously, arguing that clamping and parking regulation is going to reduce the value of your property is not based on any factual evidence, if anything parking regulation makes Olcovar a more attractive development to live in, do you not remember what it was like here when the underground car park was empty and cars were thrown her there and everywhere in the development? I do. I remember being unable to reverse out of my own designated space due to cars parked on the road behind where I would have been reversing in addition to being parked across the bottom of the steps (sometimes huge four wheeled drive tanks) making it impossible for me to move my car.........

residentr

You keep in living with the fairies Olcovar about the property value issue and thanks for the unhelpful smartarse tips on mobile service providers
- the rest of us will get on with setting up an Emergency General Meeting and legal action.

ems

You keep in living with the fairies Olcovar about the property value issue and thanks for the unhelpful smartarse tips on mobile service providers
- the rest of us will get on with setting up an Emergency General Meeting and legal action.
+1 to this. Count us in for the EGM & legal action.

olcovar

Sorry guys but residents must get priority over visitors. We live here after all, we're not just visiting. Simple as - this texting to park situation is going to further reduce the price of all of our properties - who wants to rent or buy somewhere they can have max 1 car?? This was done without the consent of residences, I for one will be taking legal advice.

I disagree.

For the people immediately shouting about legal action (yawn) go ahead, engage the management company in a lengthy and costly battle and watch your own management fees go up as a result of your action. Solicitors and barristers cost money, the management company funds its expenditure out of our fees. Would you not consider taking legal action against the habitual parkers hogging spaces instead? While you are at it, take legal action against Dun Laoghaire Rathdown for not insisting more parking be provided in a development with so many residents ......

olcovar

Visitor spaces are not for visitors, visitor spaces area for residents who want to have visitors. Why does your second car trump one car owners who can't invite anyone around without asking them to park on crinken road or in the village or in the BBQ centre across the road in the evening.

Cian

Visitor spaces are not for visitors, visitor spaces area for residents who want to have visitors. Why does your second car trump one car owners who can't invite anyone around without asking them to park on crinken road or in the village or in the BBQ centre across the road in the evening.

In the interest of transparency Olcovar would you please disclose how many cars you have and whether you live in a house or an apartment?

emurphy

I think the main issue, certainly from my perspective is not the meaures that are being brought in, but the manner in which they are being implemented. When clamping was initially raised in Olcovar, it caused an awful lot of discord between residents and it was not until it was dealt with democratically that we reached a solution that seemed to appease the majority in the short term anyway. I understand that there is dissatisfaction with the parking available for visitors and this should be addressed, but in a democratic fashion, discussing matters which are known to be particularly divisive should not be dealt with under "Any Other Business" at AGMs, to avoid tension in the development it should be listed as an agenda item and then all interested parties are responsible for making it their business to attend. As this has not happened, the fairest thing would appear for an EGM to be called to vote on the proposal. We are writing to Wyse to request that they do so and would suggest that any other interested parties, for or against do the same to ensure that we maintain a pleasant and democratic place to live together.

waynolcovar

its funny how you can tell the residents who own 2 cars just from reading the thread, you were allocated 1 space and 1 space is what you have, stop crying about legal action and cop on, is it really fair that everyone else cant have visitors because you all claim the visitor spaces as your free second car space? if anything its us that should be taking legal action against you for breaking the rules and making our quality of life up here that little bit worse because we cant have family or friends come and visit because of your selfish and inconsiderate ways,