General Maintenance

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
I believe all properties in the estate have been occupied for over a year now and our internal guarantee is over. While we are covered for 10 years by home bond this would not extend to smaller faults that arrise, such as faulty light switches, toilet flushes, door handles etc etc. The bond now just covers the structure of the property.
I know how expensive it is to call a tradesman to rectify a problem, especially when its a blocked toilet Sometimes they can be there for 2 minutes and charge over €100.
I would be willing to help out any one on the estate who needs assistance with any problems thay may have. I will not charge for my advise and if I am there for 2 minutes my fee would be a cup of tea. Obviously I cannot provide materials free of charge.
I am qualified in basic electrical installation and can get around most other problems (from blocked toilets to leaking roofs). I am not registered to work on any Gas pipes though and would not do so.
I worked in apartment and house maintenance for a number of years and still have all my tools.
If you need a little help call me on 0868359054.:)

nunu

Extractor fans

Hi, does anyone know what type of extractor fan is needed for over the cookers in the kitchen in the 3 beds in the commons. Also who fits this a carpenter or electrican. thanks nunu:confused:

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
Hi Nunu. You would need a hood integrated extractor fan. They range in price but I found Harvey Normans to be the cheapest. They are relativley simple to fit and I can do that for you if you wish. It takes a little wiring and a little kitchen fitting.
Post me a mail and I will pop round.

THE STIG

Bob The Builder

Howdy Stephen,if You Are Trying To Say That You Are A Jack Of All Trades But A Master Of None I Would Like To Say To You Fair Bloody Play!!

That Sounds Like The Most Decent And Genuine Offer,good On Ya An Wish You The Very Best.you Sound Like A Decent Aul Skin.

P.s. I Havent Managed To Block My Toilet Yet But After This 20euro Boneless Box From Kfc I Might Just Have To Give You A Ring.

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
Sorry STARBAR, my plumber will not travel to Duleek for work. I dare say I may need a new contact myself if I need anything doing.
If you problem is only small, I can take care of it for you. Dripping taps. loose taps, changing taps, replacing showers,, unblocking pipes, fixing small leaks, etc. Let me know. More than happy to help. My number is 086 835 9054.

meath_JoJo

Plumber

Hi Stephen,

Firstly, thanks for dealing with the problem with the drain it`s much appreciated hopefully the air will be somewhat fresher very soon.

Secondly, I was telling you recently about our problem with the pipes which we thought were air locked it turned out there was a small piece of insulation in the pipes and we contacted Derek who put us on to a plumber who sorted it out in a jiffy and we gave them a few bob for their trouble so maybe Derek could get these chaps for Starbar or for yourself if you need them.

Hope this helps.

Tarraaa

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
Plumber

Hello Starbar. I know it may be a little late now but I have spoken with a plumber called Brain Spencer from AA Drip Fix. I have known him for a few years and have called on his services many times. He is very fair, very clean and efficient. He used to live in the area but moved to the big smoke a while ago. He has said that he would be more than happy to travel back here for any work that anyone may need doing. He lives on the Northside of Dublin and said it would probally be easier to travel to Duleek than to the City Centre. I only bumped into him yesterday by chance and got his number again.
You can call him on 087 620 3099. Brian Spencer.

THE STIG

The Pidgeon Stacks

Howdy Those Who Pay Attention

A New Hint :

The Stig (oh Yes It Is I) Is From The Big Smoke.

P.s. So There!!!!!!!!!!

Starbar

Thanks very much for that Stephen,very good of you. i probably will give him a shout.I have been waiting for a guy from Drogheda for last 2 weeks.Heating is on the blink something to do with thermostat and valve in hotpress.:)

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
Heating system.

Starbar, There are a number of faults that occur on heating systems but most can be remmedied very quickly and for very little cost.:cool:
Could you let me know the following and I may be able to give you a solution:
Is it just the heating that has failed or is it the whole hot water system?
Does the electricity trip when a certain function is activated?
Do all the lights come on for immersion and heating etc ,yet you get no hot water/heating?
Was the water getting very very hot at any stage, making the tank "ping"?
Have the kids been near the hot press? (Sounds daft, but the amount of time I have just reversed a switch on an automated valve?).:mad:
I live in no 72 and only signed for my property in January 06. I personally feel that if the problem is an expensive one , in my eyes over €25, then you should approach the developer for redress with a property of this age. Although, from past experience developers only give in to major things, like cracked tanks etc, especially when the property is more than two years old. All the same it is worth a try.;)
In the meantime, if you can give me any information, I may be able to help you get your heating on by tomorrow evening and if not I can advise you if Mr Noonan should fix the problem for you, saving you your expense, or whether you need a plumber.
I am more than happy to help in any way, call me or private message me and I will pop round to see what I can do. I work from home and can pop round whenever suits you.:)
Thanks

Starbar

Thanks for that Stephen. I think its the valve in hotpress. It was making a noise for quite a while. heating is back working at the mo but i will have to replace it at some point. :confused:

THE STIG

Fix You Can

Howdy Stephen,

The More Of Your Posts I See The More I Have To Admire You,in Your Helpful Hints,your Genuine Willingness To Help Your Fellow Neighbours Is A Quality That Is Hard To Come By And Something We Should All Cherish,yourself And Jimmy In (106) Are A Rare Genuine Breed.fair Play To Ya.

I Myself Have Had Unusual Heating Problems In My Own Home, Where The Radiators Have Heated On The Top And Not On The Bottom, Unusual Because It Wasnt An Airlock,keep The Good Tips Flying And Thank You.

Stephen Canning

Moderator (The Commons)
The Stigs Radiators

That does seem very strange. I am reading this right? Its not just one rad but several.
Usually the rads would just have to be bled a little. There is a small valve in the top of each rad. It can be opened with a flat screwdriver. There is a nipple just below this and once all air is expelled from the rad it will pass water. Water is heavier than air, so the air must rise and come out first.
If your problem is still ongoing I fear you may have a blockage in some of the rads. If this is the case Mr Noonan should really sort this for you. Try bleeding them first though. If no sucess call Noonans and explain the problem, stating you expect a heating system to last at least 5 years with no problems other than servicing.
It may be that your system needs purging, which is relativley simple and inexpensive but unfortunatley out of my league. If getting this done ask the plumber to put a preventor in the system for you. This should prevent any further blockages in the future and protect your automated valve and pump. It is basically a luiqid that you pump into the system. It helps prevent internal rust and limescale deposits. I would recommend that you put a new one in every 3 years, or by manufacturers guildlines.
If you need me to bleed the rads for you I can, but it sounds like you have done this already. I promise I will keep your ID a secret.
Thanks